Click here to download the PDF
Atkins is the largest consultant engineering business in the UK Defence market. Our mission is to ensure success for our clients, whatever the challenge. Our multi-skilled experts cover land, sea and air domains, as well as information and communications. We work across the lifecycle of platforms, systems or defence facilities. Our success is based on working in close partnership with our clients by matching our skills to their needs, being flexible, and by using our resources efficiently. Whether we’re delivering high quality engineering and technical services or programme management, we always deliver the solution that’s right for them. And because we don’t manufacture, we can offer a genuinely independent and impartial service. Solving complex problems is in our nature in Defence.
As a graduate joining the Defence business you will have an aptitude for working within one of our capability streams of:
Systems Engineering, Programme Management and Specialist Support
In the Systems Engineering team we work across a wide spectrum of defence projects, including an MOD procurement programme to develop the next generation of armoured vehicles; delivering all the future High Grade cryptographic equipment for CIPHER, the main Defence Cryptosecurity Authority (DCA) procurement programme; and assisting project teams from across the MOD Air, Land and Sea domains to streamline costs by improving interoperability and promoting re-useable equipment and services.
Our core capabilities include Systems Engineering, Programme and Project Management, Through- Life Capability Management, Operational Analysis/Modelling, Project and Business Case Support, Information/Communications Systems, Software Development, High Integrity Software and Security.
In Systems Engineering we work closely with our clients to ensure they fully and correctly capture and articulate their business needs. We look at the captured requirements and assess how they can be validated and tested and construct a Logical Architecture to synthesise a solution by analysing the types of activities and operations the system performs, the behaviours it exhibits and using this to define the required Physical Architecture to meet the required need. This process leaves the customer with a blueprint or plan to execute a successful project in which the outcome will be exactly that desired.
Safety and Supportability
Work in Safety & Supportability ranges from the extremely detailed analysis of engineering designs into fully integrated fighting and defensive infrastructures. We take the equipment design a step further and ensure that its military mission effectiveness is achievable in the most complex of battlefield environments, the harshest of sub-sea environments and in the ever changing operational airspace.
You will have the opportunity to work on a variety of defence projects – we have managed the safe introduction of new diving technology into service, analysed and improved the reliability of lightweight armoured vehicles and produced efficient and cost effective logistics systems ensuring that the correct equipment is at the military front line at the right time.
Our analyses are fundamentally based upon a thorough review and understanding of the equipment or system under study. We utilise traditional hand computation methodologies and assessment techniques such as: Failure Modes Effects Analyse, HAZOP studies, Reliability Centred Maintenance algorithms and Maintenance Task Analysis. These can be supplemented further using electronic computational models developed for Markov Analyses, Goal Structured Notation, JACK (Space programme) HF analysis and simulation, AvSim and RAM4 to name but a few.
Mechanical Design and Analysis
The Mechanical Design & Analysis team work on all manner of defence projects – submarine nuclear
propulsion plant design, dockyard support, nuclear handling equipment and blast doors for a new
defence facility are just some of the recent projects. We also work on aerospace projects such as gas
turbines cost reduction and high-end manufacturing tooling. Manufacturing engineering is a key part
of our team too, supporting our clients with New Product Introduction, Capability Acquisition and
Our work is about designing, analysing and substantiating mechanical systems and components. We
get involved at all stages of projects from generating design concepts right through to producing
detailed manufacturing drawings. From relatively straightforward static loadings through to fatigue and
fracture analysis, blast and impact – we design for whatever our solutions have to withstand. We do
this by using our expertise to produce classical hand calculations, Finite Element Analyses and,
ultimately, substantiation reports which explain why the designs work.
During your first 2 years
on the Defence Graduate Development Scheme you will undertake project
placements. This will enable you to develop core technical and consulting skills within your chosen
capability stream and to gain an appreciation of the work undertaken across the Defence business.
You will be working alongside recently qualified graduates as well as more experienced staff, and you
will be given support to work towards Chartered status.
You will be positively encouraged to work at a variety of Atkins Defence offices (Bristol, Farnham,
Derby & Silchester) and clients’ offices.
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of
employment will be subject to security clearance being granted.
We have opportunities available in Bristol, Derby, Farnham and Silchester.
- Working within Defence you will undertake a range of activities dependent on capability stream and
project requirements. At a general level you will be expected to:
Some work outside normal office hours may be necessary. Travel to and from client sites may also
- Work within a team to produce technical work, as directed by your Project Manager and/ or
Responsible Engineer/ Consultant/ Analyst
- Meet, and where possible improve on, project targets set for time, quality and cost (i.e. hours
expended + expense costs) for your technical work
- Ensure that all of your work is appropriately checked and peer reviewed
- Identify the overall project and business goals and help to achieve them
- Communicate effectively and build positive relationships with colleagues and clients,
developing networks of contacts internally and externally
- Develop and demonstrate strong technical competence; find new and better ways of doing
- Show initiative but seek support and guidance in good time when in doubt
- Proactively seek personal and professional development opportunities with the support of your
- Maintain ethical standards and report any concerns appropriately.
- A Masters level degree accredited by the relevant Institution, with a 2:1 classification or above. We are keen to consider candidates from the following degree course disciplines;
Any previous defence industry experience or knowledge would be beneficial.
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electronic Engineering (Bristol, Farnham & Silchester)
- Electrical Engineering (Silchester & Farnham)
- Systems and Systems & Control Engineering (Bristol, Farnham & Silchester)
- Physics (Bristol & Farnham only)
- Applied Mathematics (Bristol & Farnham)
- Aerospace Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering
- General Engineering
- Computer Science & Computer Engineering (Bristol & Farnham)
- Chemical & Process Engineering (Bristol, Farnham & Silchester)
- Software Engineering (Bristol & Farnham)
Using the information given in this job description please provide us with any information on relevant degree modules when completing the application form.
- The Individual
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate evidence of:
- The drive and self motivation to achieve chartered status and to continuously develop your technical & behavioural skills
- Ability to apply technical knowledge in analysing problems and creating solutions
- Ability to work effectively within multidisciplinary teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work on your own initiative
- Flexible approach to work
- Strong attention to detail and ability to make correct judgements