Click here to download the PDF
As one of the world's leading multidisciplinary consultancies, the Environmental Planning division of Atkins works with a wide range of client interests within the public and private sectors to help clients plan development projects and formulate policy. Our clients, both in the UK and worldwide, include national and local governments, leading developers, transport, energy and other infrastructure providers, and international funding agencies.
Opportunities exist for Graduate Town Planners to work within our teams based in London and Warrington. Working as part of a team you will work on UK and international projects in planning policy development, infrastructure planning and development management planning, and will play a role in the development of our planning services. On a day to day basis you will:
- Prepare reports summarising analysis and findings;
- Regularly be required to solve problems and develop innovative solutions;
- Undertake site visits as required as part of a project;
- Attend meetings with clients and other stakeholders;
- Assist with:
- preparing and submitting planning applications
- site appraisals
- evidence base studies
- policy reviews
- analysis and research related to Local Plan or policy preparation
- co-ordination of environmental assessments
- supporting tender preparation
- Plan your work and from time to time that of others on a weekly basis;
- Ensure compliance with Health & Safety, environmental and managerial procedures; and
- Work towards professional qualifications and undertake training.
- What we look for
- We encourage graduates with a positive attitude to problem-solving, ambition, enthusiasm, and drive in the work they do. We recognise that people are the key to success, and our graduates can often be the future leaders of our business. As such we are committed to ensuring that we provide a varied workload and the right balance of on and off the job training, combined with the ongoing encouragement to help them reach their full potential.
Applicants to the Environmental Planning business should be studying towards a first degree in a relevant subject - including Town Planning, Geography, Economics or similar. A Masters degree in a related subject would be beneficial but is not essential. Study on a course accredited by the Royal Town Planning Institute or Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors would be an advantage. The successful candidate will need to:
- Be highly self-motivated and ambitious;
- Have excellent analytical skills and be able to demonstrate an initiative and creative approach to problem solving;
- Be enthusiastic about Town Planning and how we shape our urban and rural environment.
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Be able to work within a team and be able to build excellent working relationships with colleagues and clients;
- The Individual
Strong candidates will have:
In return for these skills and experience, we offer a competitive salary and excellent training
- The ability to lead and to work as part of a team
- The drive and self motivation to achieve Chartered status and to continuously develop your
technical & behavioural skills
- The ability to apply technical knowledge in analysing problems and creating solutions
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative
- A questioning/challenging approach
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and ability to make correct judgements
- The ability to work and communicate effectively within multidisciplinary teams
- A commercial and client focused approach
- Flexibility with respect to travel and working location in the Environmental Planning business.