Click here to download the PDF
Ground Engineering is one of the most exciting and demanding sectors in civil and environmental engineering. It encompasses disciplines such as, engineering geology, geotechnical engineering and tunnel engineering. The services of qualified professionals in these disciplines are in great demand in the design and construction of new and innovative infrastructure (such as mass transit systems, tunnelling and power supply), geohazard, underground storage and offshore geotechnics. There is also an increasing requirement for such areas of expertise as the world responds to a changing future with its emphasis on the energy sector, ‘low carbon’, sustainability and greater management of resources.
The Atkins Ground Engineering Academy offers a structured graduate training programme and career path for Graduates wishing to pursue a career in ground engineering. We currently have Graduate opportunities in our Engineering Geology, Geotechnical and Tunnelling Groups.
- You will join Atkins as a graduate engineer. At an initial career appraisal your academic experience (and work experience where applicable) will be discussed. A personal training programme will then be tailored to suit your particular areas of interest, aptitudes and career aspirations. Your training programme will include work in the design office and periods of site work, together with formal in-house and external training.
The Academy will provide you with extensive project experience in a variety of activities, appropriate to your interests and career, for example geotechnical and geohazard investigation and ground characterisation, geotechnical analysis and numerical modelling, and geotechnical and tunnel design. You will be working as a member of a team, often with other disciplines.
- We are looking for individuals with good communication skills who have the ability to not only lead but also work as part of a team. Typically our graduates will hold a minimum degree classification of 2.1 or equivalent in Civil Engineering, Geology or Engineering Geology and possess the ability to communicate effectively with clients and operate in a competitive and commercial environment. Preference will be given to candidates with a specialist master degree in Soil Mechanics, Engineering Geology, Geotechnical Engineering or related subject.
Please note that, although the majority of our Ground Engineering opportunities will involve a start date of Summer 2014 onwards, we are also interested in hearing from those who may have graduated in 2013 and are available to join Atkins in 2013 or early in 2014.
- The Individual
- The drive and self motivation to achieve chartered status and to continuously develop your technical & behavioural skills
- Ability to apply technical knowledge in analysing problems and creating solutions
- Able to work and communicate effectively within multidisciplinary teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work on your own initiative
- Flexible approach to work
- Strong attention to detail and ability to make correct judgements