Click here to download the PDF
We are seeking high-calibre Civil/Structural Engineers to join our Highways and Transportation Consultancy Services business. This business is part of the wider Highways and Transportation division of Atkins.
As one of the world's leading highways engineering consultancies, Atkins Highways & Transportation division works with national and local governments, highways authorities and funding agencies worldwide to help clients plan, design and enable. We have offices in the UK, Europe, North America, Middle East and Asia. Some of our recent major projects include: Engineering Design Services for the London 2012 Olympic Games, M25 DBFO Joint Venture contract, Forth Road Bridge Bearing Replacements, UK Managed Motorways and new infrastructure projects for the Government of Qatar.
Candidates will need to enjoy working on technically challenging projects and be focussed on delivery of results to our clients. Candidates will also need to be flexible with regards to location as there will be ample opportunity for secondments to ensure a broad range of experience is gained.
Working as part of a team and reporting to a senior staff member, you will work on a variety of bridge and/or highway projects and your activities will include:
- preparing and checking project design and assessment calculations, and drawings
- preparing reports
- preparing contract documents
- checking drawings and calculations
- undertaking work on site such as bridge inspections and contract supervision
- communicating with suppliers, clients, contractors, the public and other engineers within Atkins
- analysing problems and developing innovative solutions
- planning your work and the work of others on a weekly basis
- compliance with Health & Safety, environmental and managerial procedures
- presenting/ representing your specific technical work (presentations / meetings).
- assigning and checking the work of technicians/administrative staff
- delivering specifically assigned tasks to time and cost
- working towards professional qualifications and undertaking training
- What we look for
- We encourage our graduates to have vision, problem-solving capabilities, ambition, enthusiasm, and drive. We recognise that people are the key to our success, and our graduates are the future leaders of our business. We ensure that we provide them with a varied workload and encourage them to extend themselves in order to reach their full potential. You should have the ability to use your initiative and have a desire to improve your technical capabilities by working as a reliable member of the team. You should be enthusiastic and flexible in your approach to work with good verbal and written communication skills. Some design or site experience through work placements would be an advantage but not essential. In return for these skills and experience, we offer a competitive salary and excellent training prospects.
- Strong candidates will have:
Applicants to the Highways and Transportation business should have a 2:1 or above M.Eng (or
- The ability to lead and to work as part of a team
- The drive and self motivation to achieve Chartered status and to continuously develop your technical & behavioural skills
- The ability to apply technical knowledge in analysing problems and creating solutions
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative
- A questioning/ challenging approach
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and ability to make correct judgements
- The ability to work and communicate effectively within multidisciplinary teams
- A commercial and client focused approach
- Flexibility with respect to travel and working location.
equivalent) Civil/Structural Engineering Degree, a ‘B’ or above Maths A-Level, and a ‘C’ or
above in your remaining A-Levels. Post-graduate qualifications are not a requirement but will be of
interest where they are in a relevant subject e.g. Bridge Engineering and Highway Engineering.
Using the information given in this job description please provide us with information on all relevant
degree modules when completing the application form. If your University degree has been accredited
by the Institute of Chartered Engineers, please state this clearly on your application form.