Atkins Digital Services (ADS) operates within GrIS with a mission acquire, design, develop & deploy digital products that will add value to the business by enabling us to: win work at higher margins, deliver work more efficiently and at lower cost, develop new revenue streams, collaborate & share knowledge more effectively, manage our business and support our people. Supporting ADS is a global development team that delivers applications to both the business and clients.
We are looking to expand its capability by hiring a Applications Architect with the responsibility of ensuring that applications are designed and developed within a coherent digital services architecture and technology framework. The applications we are developing have web and mobile clients and are delivered globally from the cloud. We experiment with new technologies to enable us to provide better solutions faster, and are currently exploring the Big Data space including advanced analytics and machine learning techniques.
We are looking for an individual with an Applications Solution Architecture background, excellent Microsoft development experience as well as familiarity with a broad range of software from LAMP to Hadoop, and who can also demonstrate strong customer & stakeholder facing skills and experience. You will enjoy working in an agile, fast paced environment in a rapidly evolving industry where the ability to respond rapidly to changing business needs is critical.
Working collaboratively with ADS colleagues and the wider Group IS team, you will bring creativity, technical knowledge and architectural experience that will support the development of new products, as well as reviewing and improving the architecture of existing applications, as needed. You will also provide technical leadership ensuring ADS remains up to date on new developments and can leverage new technologies that add value and provide a better service to internal and external customers.
- Works closely with Product Owners, Product Managers and Development team to understand customer & client requirements and design solutions for new and existing digital products and services.
- Designs major aspects of the architecture of an application, including components such as user interface, middleware and infrastructure
- Provides technical leadership to the Digital Development team members.
- Reviews and advises on technical solutions proposed by the product delivery teams to ensure they are most appropriate solution for the product.
- Liaises with the Digital Development and Technical Services Teams to estimate the required effort and cost to deliver the proposed solutions, including the use, where needed of third parties.
- Collaborates with the Technology Practice groups within the Digital Development team to create a technical solutions framework for ADS and ensure that the development team has sufficient expertise and competence in the applications and tools that are currently part of the framework.
- Lead quarterly reviews of Technical Solutions Framework and any proposed additions
- Liaises with the Enterprise Architecture team to ensure alignment with overall IS and technical strategies.
- Analyses technical problems and devises new approaches and alternative solutions.
- Maintains knowledge of technology developments in the field and ensures ADS keeps up to date in its use of tools and software solutions
- Fosters and supports technical improvement
- Contribute to the objectives and goals of the Digital Services Team, Group IS and the One Atkins2020 initiative
- Proven experience in a Technical/Solutions/Applications Architecture role.
- Proven experience in design of technical solutions and architectures for commercial products and services.
- Experience with the design of architectures for web, mobile and cloud-based products.
- Expertise in the design, development and deployment of enterprise-level N-tier architecture.
- Experience with technologies and processes for effective release and deployment management including CI/CD.
- Experience architecting for global delivery of products and services.
- Experience with complex cloud environments supporting multiple applications
- Experience of Agile working including both Scrum and Kanban
- Strong commercial focus and stakeholder engagement skills
- Experience of working in a high pressure environment
- Excellent planning, coordination and communication skills: verbal and written.
- Ability to explain highly technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Ability to build relationships and communicate at all levels
- Ability to share technical knowledge and support colleagues
- Have SOA Design and implementation experience including with integration technologies (RESTful architectures, SOAP, JSON etc.)
- Experience developing solutions for both Azure and AWS
- Experience of LAMP architectures
- Experience of working within a multi-cultural, global environment
- Experience of working in a fast moving and changing large enterprise IT environment
- Experience of architecting scalable, multi-application, cloud solutions.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
Additional Information and Benefits
to other company sites may be necessary.
candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and
offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being
working options may be considered for this vacancy.
- Please refer to our website for full details
of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to
15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days
paid annual leave.
- Atkins develops our employees through a
portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make
the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all
forms of training and have a programme of in-house and well as external
training for all of our engineers.
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25
Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers
for Women 2015’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we
believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical
skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations. Our commitment to
staff development is underpinned by numerous stable and long-term framework
agreements with key clients.
We are one of the world’s foremost engineering and
design consultancies, operating in most regions of the world, and in virtually
every market. Choosing to work for Atkins will provide you with the
opportunity to engage on some of the most exciting engineering challenges of
our time. Together with our rewarding and flexible packages, you’ll have the
perfect balance to bring your personal and career goals to fruition.