Our Transportation Division is currently seeking an Assistant Bridge Engineer in our Chelmsford office to support the delivery of a wide variety of multi-disciplinary highway and railway projects across the UK. Using your excellent people, technical and delivery skills, you’ll drive a variety of civil and structural designs for new build, renewal, maintenance and assessment works.
You’ll be working as part of one of the largest transportation consultancies in the UK, and a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators. Major clients include Highways England, Local Authorities, TfL, HS2, Network Rail and London Underground, design and build contractors and other niche clients. You’ll also have the opportunity to work on overseas projects and with our internationally based design teams.
Ideally you’ll have a background in design and delivery of a range of bridges and other structures within either or both the highways and railways environments. You’ll be familiar with working in large, geographically dispersed multidisciplinary design teams on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility to detailed design.
• BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent
• Working towards Chartered status with the ICE or IStructE
• Experience in civil and structural engineering design within either or both heavy rail and highways environments for both large bridge type structures and ancillary structures
• An understanding of relevant DMRB, Network Rail, British and European standards
• Experience of undertaking visual and intrusive inspection and investigation works using safe systems of work
• Good written standard of English
• Good oral communication abilities
• Strong interpersonal and team working skills
As an Assistant Engineer, you will be contribute to the delivery of design works, including but not limited to:
• Detailed design calculations for structures, bridges and foundations in accordance with British and European Standards, Railway Standards and other relevant design codes (BD, CIRIA etc.)
• Surveys, inspection and appraisal of existing structures and bridges
• Preparation of reports such as feasibility studies, method statements, specifications, approval documents and detailed design documents
• Production of drawings in collaboration with CAD technicians
• Support to senior staff in co-ordination of tenders and projects for clients
You’ll be someone who’s used to rolling up your sleeves up to ensure our teams always deliver great things. Instinctively driven to help, achieve and go beyond to meet client needs. We’d expect you to:-
• Use your excellent analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise and recommend options.
• Undertake designs and the production of and review of design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications.
• Stay abreast of industry developments and changes in standards.
• Develop more junior staff, typically apprentices, and you yourself will be working hard towards professional qualification under formal training agreements.
• Be available to travel across the UK and work away from home on occasion; this might include periods overseas of 3 to 6 months.