Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of our ideas.
We require an experienced Engineer with a keen interest and background in all aspects of water management. You will support delivery of a wide range of flood risk and drainage projects. The role requires experience in hydraulic modelling, flood risk assessment, outline design of flood alleviation/ mitigation works and options appraisal. We are looking for someone who understands the benefits of using GIS in this field, and is ideally a competent user of GIS packages. The position is within our Infrastructure Division, specifically the Water Management Consultancy Practice, and is based in our Swansea office.
With an extensive client list, as well as internal markets within Atkins we can offer opportunities to apply and advance your specialist technical and management skills in a way rarely available elsewhere. Our projects range from flood risk assessments for private developments to some of the largest infrastructure projects being undertaken in Europe.
The profile of the successful candidate would encompass some of the following:
- A degree in Civil and/ or Environmental Engineering, or alternative first degree with an MSc in a relevant discipline.
- The applicant should be working towards Chartered status.
- Experience of hydraulic modelling – including any of the following environments in 1D, 2D, 3D; rivers, canals, sewers, surface water, dams, coastal, groundwater, integrated systems.
- Experience in the outline/ detailed design for river engineering and/ or flood risk management structures.
- Experience contributing to project appraisal.
- Application of Sustainable Drainage Systems.
- Experience of hydrological techniques (flood and/or water resources) – such as urban and rural rainfall-runoff, statistical estimation, stochastic weather generators.
- Experience of excellent technical delivery in the project environment.
- Some experience and understanding of project management and client management.
Knowledge of the following software and methodologies would be beneficial:
- InfoWorks (ICM, RS, CS), Flood Modeller/ ISIS, TUFLOW, HEC-RAS and preferably Flood Estimation Handbook (FEH), ReFH, the Wallingford Procedure, FSR & Micro FSR.
The successful candidate will sit within the Flood Risk and Coastal Management Team within the Water Management Consultancy Practice. The focus of the role is on the delivery of flood risk management and flood risk assessment projects, with a strong focus on hydraulic modelling.
As a member of this team you’ll have excellent technical and developing management skills, with a reputation for delivering work to the highest of standards.
- You will be expected to provide technical input into the delivery of modelling projects and will provide technical input as part of larger multi-disciplined teams.
- You will be expected to take a lead in the delivery of technical work from inception to handover, on time, in budget, and to the highest technical standards.
- You will be expected to interface with clients from the bidding stage through to project delivery.
- You will liaise with and support the wider Atkins practices and divisions in the UK and overseas.
- Possessing a flexible, winning attitude. A positive “can do” outlook is a must.
- Able to generate innovative solutions to challenges and follow them through.
- Self-motivated to improve personal and team development.
- Excellent team working and communication skills.
- Customer focused and with a high level of relationship management skills
- Strong reputation and high level technical performance in a fast paced environment
- Have strong organisational and time management skills, with the ability to manage inputs to more than one project at any one time.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package