Atkins is the largest engineering consultancy in the UK, the largest multi-disciplinary consultancy in Europe and the seventh largest design firm in the world. It is a FTSE 250 Company with a turnover of approx £1.4bn. It employs approximately 17,000 employees globally, of which 11,000 are UK based.
Atkins Transportation Division is one of the largest highways and rail consultancies in the UK and is a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators, train operating companies, design and build contractors and other clients within the industry.
As part of the provision of locally-based multi-functional consultancy services, there is a need in our Cardiff/Swansea office for an experienced Assistant Civil/Structural Engineer, ideally Incorporated or approaching Chartered status, to join our growing Design Team.
The successful applicant will possess the following attributes:
- A degree in Civil Engineering (or equivalent)
- Be incorporated or working towards Chartered status with the ICE or IStructE
- A strong track record in civil and structural engineering design within the heavy highway/rail environment for both large bridge type structures and ancillary elements common to large projects such as railway re-signalling projects
- A thorough understanding of relevant DMRB, Network Rail, British and European standards
- Good experience of structural analysis software such as Superstress and LUSAS.
- Experience of undertaking and supervising visual and intrusive investigation works within the heavy highway/rail environment using the range of safe systems of work available
- Any experience in the design of complimentary temporary works would be advantageous
- Excellent written standard of English
- Good oral communication abilities
- Strong interpersonal and team working skills
- Experience of heavy civil/structural engineering would be beneficial
You will be responsible for leading and undertaking civil/structural engineering design work for all aspects of heavy civil engineering, including but not limited to:-
- Detailed design calculations for structures, bridges and foundations in accordance with British and European Standards, DMRB, Railway Standards and other relevant design codes (BD, CIRIA etc)
- Surveys, inspection and appraisal of existing structures and bridges
- Preparation of reports such as feasibility studies, method statements, specifications, approval documents and detailed design documents
- Production of drawings in collaboration with CAD technicians
- Support to senior staff in co-ordination of tenders and projects for clients
The successful candidate will also be required to develop responsibility for timely project delivery technically and commercially, as their experience and capabilities increase.
You will also gain implementation experience and an appreciation of geotechnical, environmental, and other engineering disciplines (such as permanent way, signalling, telecoms and electrification). Opportunities to broaden your experience into project and engineering management will also be available.
We encourage career progression and there is the opportunity to further develop your career. We would expect to work with you in developing your career aspirations through staff appraisal, offering a range of opportunities and appropriate training designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.