Our Transportation Division is currently seeking Assistant Engineers in our Trowbridge office to support the delivery of a wide variety of multi-disciplinary highways projects across the UK. Using your excellent people, technical and delivery skills, you’ll drive a variety of civil and structural designs for new build, renewal, maintenance and assessment works.
You’ll be working as part of one of the largest transportation consultancies in the UK, and a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators. Major clients include Highways England, Various Local Authorities, Network Rail, London Underground, HS2, Train Operating Companies, Design & Build Contractors and other niche clients. Initially you’ll be working on Highway Projects in Wiltshire, Hampshire and Swindon being delivered under the Local authority Framework Contracts we have with these Local Authorities. You’ll also have the opportunity to work on overseas projects and with our internationally based design teams.
Following our success in securing multi-million pound Highways and Transportation professional services contracts with Wiltshire Council, Hampshire County Council and Swindon Borough Council, we are looking to grow our civil engineering / highways design and supervision capability in the region based in Trowbridge. You will be working as part of a team delivering a range on Local Authority Projects for these Clients.
Ideally you will have a background in civil engineering design and experience of delivery of a range of multi-disciplinary projects within highway environments. You’ll be familiar with working in large, geographically dispersed multidisciplinary design teams on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility to detailed design.
- Supporting technical delivery of civil engineering projects / civil engineering input into multi-disciplinary projects.
- Using your excellent analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise and recommend options.
- Undertake designs and the production and review of design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications
- Staying abreast of industry developments and changes in standards
- Compliance with Quality, Safety, Environment and managerial procedures ensuring work produced is technically accurate and delivered in accordance with the appropriate standards.
- Developing more junior staff, typically apprentices by technical training and mentoring.
- Able to work and integrate into multi-disciplinary teams and work independently.
- Working with and supporting multi-disciplinary global teams.
- Maintaining and developing excellent professional relationships which can secure repeat business.
- To work as part of a collaborative team with the Contractor / Client / Public, developing strong and lasting relationships which promote aligned, efficient and smarter ways of working.
- Presenting to clients and key stakeholders in a professional, responsive and client focused manner.
- Mentoring junior staff and supporting the development of the team
- Assigning work to and checking / reviewing the project team’s work.
- Working collaboratively across the Atkins Group.
- BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
- Actively working towards achieving CEng or IEng with the Institution of Civil Engineers (preferably)
- Good understanding of relevant design standards, including Eurocodes and those of Highways England and Manual for Streets.
- Preparing scheme drawings, from feasibility design through to detailed design
- Preparation of reports such as feasibility studies, method statements, specifications, approval documents and detailed design documents
- Production of drawings in collaboration with CAD technicians
- Proficient in the use of 3-D design packages, ideally including MX, AutoDesk Civils 3D and Microdrainage (or similar)
- Preparing works packages, including bills of quantities, specifications and construction drawings
- Assisting with the resolution of engineering problems
- Ensuring tasks are carried out within agreed timescales and budgets
- Site supervision of highway improvement schemes
- Excellent communicator with the desire to take on extra responsibilities and keep on developing your skills and our team.
- Experience of Project Governance and Development Processes for Highways England and / or Local Authorities.
- Ability to research information and data independently and ability to find solutions to complex problems.
- Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Experience of working with our key clients, e.g. Local Authorities, Highways England, Network Rail, Developers and/or major Contractors.
- Knowledge gained from working within a contractor and/or client organisation.
- Hold a valid UK driving licence.
- Experience of supervising highway works contracts
Connecting countries, cities and communities, our Transportation team works on some of the most challenging projects of our time. Helping people to travel faster and more efficiently, we transform rail and highway infrastructure. So, get on board and play a big part in our success.
We’ll value you for going beyond to exceed expectations and deliver innovative solutions nobody else can. After all, we can’t achieve great things without you. So, you can look forward to fantastic rewards and development opportunities.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.