We are currently recruiting an Assistant Civil Engineer in our Swindon office to become a key member of the team, assisting with site surveys and producing CAD drawings, design calculations, technical specifications and reports under the guidance and supervision of more experienced engineers within the team.
Our core workload is typically the delivery of multidisciplinary designs ranging from feasibility studies to detailed design, working either directly for rail industry clients like Network Rail and Train Operating companies or for design and build contractors. Our projects vary from some of the largest multi-disciplinary schemes in the UK to smaller design commissions and include all elements of railway civil engineering including bridge, station and lineside infrastructure schemes.
The successful candidate will be responsible for producing design calculations, technical specifications and reports. They will work on a variety of projects where they will be expected to provide solutions to engineering problems working with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines. They will be expected to manage small design packages, delivering engineering solutions to programme and to budget as well as mentoring / supporting less experienced graduates and apprentices.
The successful candidate should demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Ability to analyse engineering problems and provide suitable solutions.
- Good project management skills, commercial awareness, financial management skills and ability to deliver work across a range of contract types.
- Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines.
- Ability to work independently and to make positive decisions
- Leadership skills to mentor and support the development of junior staff
- Good spoken and written English.
- Minimum 2:1 BEng / MEng degree (or equivalent) in civil engineering.
- Minimum 2 years post graduate engineering experience.
- Motivation and desire to work towards Membership of a relevant professional body, such as the Institution of Civil Engineers
- Sound understanding of technical principles underlying civil engineering, particularly civil engineering structures.
- Awareness of current design codes and standards, especially Eurocodes.
- Previous Design experience including knowledge of design calculations, reports and specifications to industry and national standards.
- Ability to prepare reports and collate specifications from all parties to the project and to collect other data and statistics necessary for the preparation of progress and technical reports.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes, particularly Word and Excel.
- Experience of working in the rail industry and knowledge of Network Rail’s GRIP process and the various deliverables required at each stage.
- Experience of working with CAD packages, including Microstation and/or AutoCAD.
- Experience in analysis packages such as LUSAS.
- Experience of managing small design packages, including assisting the definition of scope, budget, and programme.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.