Our Transportation Division is currently seeking Assistant Engineers / Engineers in our Birmingham office to support the delivery of a wide variety of multi-disciplinary highway and railway project across the UK. Using your excellent people, technical and delivery skills, you’ll drive a variety of civil and structural designs for new build, renewal, maintenance and assessment works.
You’ll be working as part of one of the largest transportation consultancies in the UK, and a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators. Major clients include Highways England, Local Authorities, Network Rail, London Underground, HS2, Train Operating Companies, Design & Build Contractors and other niche clients. You’ll also have the opportunity to work on overseas projects and with our internationally based design teams.
Ideally you will have a background in civil engineering design and delivery within either or both the highways and railways environments. You’ll be familiar with working in large, geographically dispersed multidisciplinary design teams on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility to detailed design.
- Working within a multi-discipline team of engineers, technicians and other professionals to develop engineering designs from concept to detailed design, implementation and maintenance in either a highway or rail environment.
- Producing designs, calculations and drawings to relevant standards, including providing technical assurance of designs.
- Preparation of reports such as feasibility studies, method statements, specifications, approval documents and detailed design documents.
- Production of drawings in collaboration with CAD technicians.
- Support to senior staff in co-ordination of tenders and projects for clients.
- Ensuring compliance with business management standards set in the company’s quality, safety and environmental policies and procedures.
- Mentoring and supporting the development of graduates and technicians.
- Able to work and integrate into multi-disciplinary teams and work independently.
- Liaising with customers in a responsive and client focused manner.
- Liaison with clients and key stakeholders including attendance at meetings.
- Preparation and presentation of progress and technical reports for discussion at client and key stakeholder meetings.
- Assisting with the preparation of fee offers for agreement with the client.
- Supporting the project manager and teams with the development of design solutions and management of the project.
- Working collaboratively across the Atkins Group.
- BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
- Working towards Chartered status with the ICE or IStructE.
- Experience of undertaking and supervising visual and intrusive inspection and investigation works using a range of safe systems of work.
- Experience of working on Highways England and/or Local Authority highway design projects, and/or Network Rail design projects.
- Experience of the current Highways England standards and conversant with the DMRB and/or Network Rail, DMRB, British and European standards and Construction Design Management Regulations (CDM).
- Experience of design interfaces (e.g. geotechnical, environmental, structural, transport planning).
- Familiarity with 3D design tools.
- Ability to research information and data independently.
- Ability to prepare reports and specifications, and to collect data and statistics necessary for the preparation of progress and technical reports.
- Ability to develop and agree project scopes and manage budgets, programmes and quality of deliverables.
- Good written standard of English
- Good oral communication abilities
- Strong interpersonal and team working skills
- Proficient in software such as AutoCAD, Civil 3D, MX and WinDes.
- Qualified Road Safety Audit team member or leader (HD19/03).
- Flexibility for occasional periods working away from normal office location, including overseas
- Awareness of the regulatory framework associated with planning and approval regulations/processes, together with experience of managing a highway project through the planning process.
- Experience of site, construction contracts and of site management.
- Hold a valid UK driving licence.
Connecting countries, cities and communities, our Transportation team works on some of the most challenging projects of our time. Helping people to travel faster and more efficiently, we transform rail and highway infrastructure. So, get on board and play a big part in our success.
We’ll value you for going beyond to exceed expectations and deliver innovative solutions nobody else can. After all, we can’t achieve great things without you. So, you can look forward to fantastic rewards and development opportunities.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.