Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of our ideas.
We have a vacancy for an experienced Assistant Hydrologist/Hydraulic Modeller with a background in hydrology, hydraulic modelling, GIS and Microsoft packages. The position is within Atkins Infrastructure Division, specifically the Water Management Consultancy Practice, and is based in our Oxford office.
With an extensive client list, as well as internal markets within Atkins we can offer opportunities to apply and advance your specialist technical and management skills in a way rarely available elsewhere.
The role requires the candidate to support in the delivery of a wide range of projects with a particular focus on integrated urban water management, which includes fully integrated hydrodynamic catchment modelling, sustainable drainage, water sensitive urban design, river restoration, research and development, and client and multi-stakeholder engagement.
The role will ideally suit someone who is looking for a technical challenge and is keen to work on advanced and industry leading projects.
The successful candidate will sit within the Flood Risk and Coastal Management Team within the Water Management Consultancy Practice. The focus of the role is on the delivery of hydrological and hydraulic modelling projects for both our external and internal clients. As a member of this team you’ll have excellent technical and developing management skills, with a reputation for delivering work to the highest of standards.
- You will be expected to provide technical input into the delivery of modelling projects and will provide technical input as part of larger multi-disciplined teams.
- You will be expected to take a lead in the delivery of technical work from inception to handover on time, quality and cost.
- You will be expected to interface with clients from the bidding stage to project delivery.
- You will also liaise with and support the wider Atkins practices and divisions in the UK and overseas.
Due to the nature of the role you’ll be expected to possess the following:
- Experience of hydrological techniques (flood and/or water resources) – such as urban and rural rainfall-runoff, statistical estimation, stochastic weather generators.
- Experience of hydraulic modelling – including any of the following environments in 1D, 2D, 3D; rivers, canals, sewers, dams, coasts, groundwater, integrated systems.
- The applicant should be working towards Chartered status.
- An appropriate 1st degree and ideally an MSc in a relevant discipline
- Experience of good technical delivery, including large scale catchment modelling projects and ideally some experience in project management and client management.
- Some experience of working as part of a successful bidding team on technical projects and the ability to demonstrate innovative ideas for the water management industry.
- Applicants must be numerate, literate and familiar with IT and software appropriate to the tasks to be undertaken, ideally including; InfoWorks (ICM, RS, CS), ISIS, TUFLOW, HEC-RAS and preferably the Wallingford Procedure, ReFH, FEH, FSR & Micro FSR.
- Highly motivated and proactive, with a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Skilled at collaborative working, with good interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively.
- Customer focused with a good level of client management skills.
- Have strong organisational and time management skills, with the ability to manage inputs to more than one project at any one time.
- Flexible and prepared to take on new challenges.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards & Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package