We have a vacancy in our Flood Risk and Coastal Management practice for an Assistant Hydrologist / Hydraulic Modeller with proven industry experience and a background and interest in hydrology, hydraulic modelling, flood risk and GIS.
The position will suit an individual who is adaptable and keen to work across the technical areas above on a diverse range of projects. It is based within Atkins Infrastructure Division, specifically the Water Management Consultancy Practice, and is located in our Oxford (Eynsham) office.
With an extensive client list that encompasses environmental regulators and flood management authorities, and includes major transportation and infrastructure projects, we can offer opportunities to apply and advance your specialist technical and management skills in a way rarely available elsewhere.
The role requires a numerate candidate to support in the delivery of a wide range of projects with a particular focus on integrated catchment management, sustainable drainage, water sensitive urban design, river restoration, and client and multi-stakeholder engagement.
The role will ideally suit someone who is looking for a technical challenge and is keen to work on advanced and industry leading projects.
Essential requirements for the position are:
- An appropriate first degree and ideally an MSc / MEng in a relevant environmental, engineering or science discipline
- Proven post-graduate experience in a relevant position
- Working towards Chartered status with an appropriate professional organisation
- Numerate, literate and familiar with IT and the use of analytical software tools
- Experience of hydrological analysis techniques for floods and/or water resources
- Experience of hydraulic modelling techniques for sewers, rivers and/or coasts.
Additional desirable requirements are:
- Experience of good technical delivery, including catchment modelling projects.
- Experience with some or all of the following software tools: InfoWorks, ISIS, TUFLOW, HEC-RAS, ReFH.
- Knowledge and/or experience of preparing technical reports such as Flood Risk Assessments and Environmental Statements.
- Knowledge and/or experience of using GIS packages such as ArcGIS, MapInfo, QGIS
- An understanding of the relevant legislature governing planning and consent of works in inland waters.
The successful candidate will sit within the Flood Risk and Coastal Management Team within the Water Management Consultancy Practice. The focus of the role is the delivery of hydrology and hydraulic modelling projects for our internal and external clients. As a member of this team you’ll have excellent technical and analytical skills.
- You will be expected to provide technical input into the delivery of projects and as part of larger multi-disciplined teams.
- You will be expected to take a lead in the delivery of technical work from inception to handover on time, quality and cost.
- You will be expected to support senior staff in interfacing with clients from the bidding stage to project delivery.
- You will also liaise with and support the wider Atkins practices and divisions in the UK and overseas.
- Highly motivated and proactive.
- Skilled at collaborative working, with good interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively.
- Customer focused.
- Have strong organisational and time management skills, with the ability to manage inputs to more than one project at any one time.
- Flexible and prepared to take on new challenges.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards & Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package