Atkins is one of the world’s leading engineering, environmental and design consultancies offering unparalleled opportunities for talented individuals in search of a rewarding career. Our Planning, Economics and Heritage team based in London, Epsom, Bristol, Birmingham and Warrington works directly with Atkins’ wide range of businesses, across the UK on a variety of major development projects and related works. To find out about our recent varied and interesting Planning projects see our Planning brochures.
We require an Assistant Planner to be located in our Warrington office. The person appointed will join a progressive planning and environmental team with a wide range of client interests within the public and private sectors. The position will seek to provide additional capacity to deliver our expanding workload and will play a key role in the development of our growing national business, linking in with other parts of the environmental and infrastructure business throughout Atkins. While the post would be based in our Warrington office, there may be a requirement to work out of other UK offices, where the need arises, in order to meet the demands of fluctuating workloads. There may also be opportunities to work on a number of our overseas planning projects. We provide a flexible working environment with opportunities to work from home and from our Leeds office.
The position requires a Chartered Planner or someone seeking Chartership, combining an excellent track record in planning with particular experience in providing advice to our growing markets in the development, transportation, energy and water sectors.
• Planning policy reviews for energy, transport, water, environmental and housing and regeneration projects across the UK
• Input into the preparation of planning applications and supporting documents
• Support at public consultation events required as part of the pre-application consultation process
• Provision of development planning support to the in-house Atkins businesses
• Inputs into the preparation of evidence based studies (e.g. employment and housing needs assessments)
• Research to inform responses to tender opportunities
• A relevant planning degree
• Working towards full membership of RTPI
• Relevant experience working in planning practice or local government planning team
• A sound knowledge of planning law and procedures, including the changing planning system at national, regional and local levels
This is an opportunity for the successful applicant to develop their Planning knowledge by assisting a busy Planning team in its response to a wide range of planning and environmental development opportunities. The individual will have:
• Good communication skills, with ability to draft reports to a high standard
• Ability to meet tight deadlines
• Confident team worker
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package