Atkins provide civil and structural engineering design for various market sectors including: Energy, Defence, Aviation, Commercial, Education, Government, Leisure, Health and Transport sectors. We have a vacancy for a full time position in our Leeds’ structures team for an assistant structural engineer to work in a multi-disciplinary environment delivering a variety of structural inspections, refurbishment and new build projects. Travel to other locations may be required from time-to-time. Willingness to consider secondments to other Atkins offices or clients premises would be an advantage.
Our structural inspection team within the civil and structural department, have been very successful maintaining existing clients in the power sector, but also in developing new clients in related markets such as the Environment Agency, bridges and water utilities and the primary role for the assistant engineer will be supporting that team.
You will have the full support of the Structures Team Leader providing guidance and support to allow you to fully engage with the exciting developments which are happening within the business. Through our on-going success and commitment to provide excellent services to our clients, the role will encompass:
- Inspection of a variety of structures and generating asset condition reports.
- From time to time, designing small projects, or sections of larger projects, so as to achieve the client’s objectives to cost and programme.
- From time to time, production of design calculation in accordance with the Euro Codes, specifications and tender documents, obtaining tenders and quotations, tender adjudication and analysis.
- Gathering of information, surveys, research and report writing.
- General knowledge of Construction, Health and Safety Regulations, Building Regulations, and contract law.
- Monitoring site works to establish that it is being carried out in accordance with specifications and methods statements.
- Awareness of internal job costs in relation to the fee, services to be provided and resource requirements.
- Preparation and submission of applications for Building Regulations, Planning or Listed Building consents.
- Assisting with the development of Client relationships, Compliance with Atkins and client QSE procedures.
- Assisting in establishing client briefs, appropriate fees, and commercial management through to completion.
We are looking for a key individual committed to long term development of their engineering skills within our organisation. The individual will have a strong commitment to team work. Your expertise will include:
- Accredited honours degree or equivalent in Civil/Structural Engineering.
- May be working towards chartered status - ICE/IStructE.
- Strong customer focus.
- Highly motivated and a self starter with ability to work independently within a consultative environment.
- Team player used to working in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Competent in using Microsoft’s EXCEL, and Word is essential and familiarity with AutoCAD, Revit, NBS, TEDDS, and Building Designer would be an advantage.
- Good organisational and interpersonal skills and the ability to work well under pressure.
- Specification and report writing skills.
- Knowledge of Construction, Health and Safety Regulations, Building Regulations, and contract law.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skill.
- Experience within asset management useful but not essential.