Atkins is the largest engineering and design consultancy in the UK, the largest multidisciplinary consultancy in Europe and one of the largest design firms in the world.
Atkins’ Infrastructure business combines the best in engineering, surveying and architecture to provide a full suite of services to clients in the public and private sector. Whether designing iconic buildings or maintaining property portfolios, D&E prides itself in offering intelligent, sustainable solutions and unrivalled expertise.
Right now, we are looking to add to our successful team by recruiting an Associate Building Services Engineer to work in the Colchester office and East Anglia Region. The candidate can be from either a mechanical or Electrical background as long as they have a good understanding of the discipline that is not their strength. The successful candidate will act as Associate Building Services Engineer working alongside the East Anglia Region Mechanical and Electrical Engineering senior team discipline leads and office manager.
The position is predominantly based from the Colchester office with a requirement to attend client meetings offsite, visit site locations and work closely with other Atkins offices to develop relationships with clients and Atkins colleagues. The work will cover East Anglia, into London and further afield in the South East and into the Midlands.
We are looking for a key individual to provide a committed, positive, proactive approach in developing and expanding both the business and the team. As well as ensuring the team deliver an excellent service with good commercial results you will be responsible for engendering the team to be positive and proactive in their approach to the business and its expansion. This role will provide an excellent opportunity for the right individual to further develop their management skills.
The successful candidate will lead the Associate Building Services Engineer function by developing the vision and strategy for Atkins East Anglia Region in conjunction with partner regions and develop East Anglia Region processes that ensure the constant improvement and reliability of engineering services. This will encompass expert advice and assistance that help ensure the effective delivery of operational solutions, appropriate working environments and statutory compliance within client facilities that will position the business as a leader in Technical Services delivery.
Role Summary -
- Lead a regional team of discipline leads with the capabilities, tools and processers to provide cost effective Building Services design to meet the needs of the Service Delivery Teams and accounts that span various industries and multiple levels of criticality
- Lead and support the continuous due diligence process and risk mitigation methodologies related to technical services to enable continuous improvement in overall technical operations.
- Implement an excellence strategy across the region. Maintain and govern the standards and measures that support the strategy, drive improvement and reduce non-compliance and inefficiency
- Develop, implement and govern global technical standards, processes and programs to; drive consistency, improve quality & efficiency and help develop and maintain best practice
- Create, implement and maintain a MEP services assurance program to ensure compliance with UK & global technical standards, identify opportunities for performance improvements through key performance indicators and assure customers
- Assist in the development of technical service solutions to support existing business as well as new business pursuits and wins; creating competitive advantage and delivering contract commitments
- Support the effective and timely deployment of technical solutions with appropriate tools, processes and resources
- In collaboration with engineering technical Leads ensure appropriate controls and arrangements are in place to achieve and maintain statutory compliance.
- Provide advice and direction in the management of the Building services team and advise the head of office on strategic matters
- Develop, maintain and leverage regional networks of technical service professionals and experts from contracting and consulting backgrounds across geographies and accounts to; share knowledge and best practice, drive innovation and continuous improvements, and provide access to resource and expertise to support new business
Your career to date -
- Extensive building Services Design knowledge with proven experience in a leadership role.
- Demonstrated Strategic thinker in technical and maintenance services with proven experience in developing relationships with clients, suppliers and industry leaders
- Extensive experience of working with contractors and consultants on multi discipline design projects
- Excellent communication & presentation skills in verbal & written English essential.
- Familiar with all areas of technical building infrastructure and related operational components
- Experience in technical operations, solutions and standards with proven leadership & collaboration skills with the ability to operate in a matrix environment
- Experienced in writing detailed specifications and technical reports
- High level of financial acumen and commercial/Contractual awareness
- Excellent influencing skills (at various levels within the organization) with the ability to collaborate across boundaries and cultures
- Track record of continuous improvement and drive for results
As the Associate Building Services Engineer, the successful candidate will…
- Be degree qualified in building services engineering or equivalent. Have already achieved CEng status with a relevant professional body and have extensive experience designing complex projects.
- Lead delivery on building services design on UK and international projects.
- Act as Project Manager on engineering projects
- Work with the Building services discipline leads to Motivate and develop the Building Services team.
- Make strategic technical decisions in general and to the building services team.
- Establish and develop strong client relationships with new clients and build relationships with existing clients, securing repeat business and identifying opportunities to sell new services
- Coordinate between the M&E Disciplines and across the multi discipline team.
- Ensure mechanical and Electrical design quality is maintained
- Own resource schedule for your projects and liaise with other team leaders to maximize staff utilization and Multi-discipline opportunities
- Have an excellent understanding of sustainability issues including passive design and low and zero carbon or other current technologies.
- Able to manage own workload and assist more junior members of the team.
- Lead bids for M&E and Multi-discipline projects
- Own the commercial reporting role for your projects as Project Manager with emphasis on accurate forecasting of costs as well as income
- Have a working knowledge and use of relevant software packages including Hevacomp, IES, Amtech and lighting packages, Microsoft Office suite of products. Also have a knowledge of BIM, PAS 1192, AutoCAD, Revit and associated design management/project management tools.