Atkins Infrastructure business are looking to appoint a Principal Civil Engineer to provide technical leadership for civil engineering and multidisciplinary designs across a range of major projects.
The Infrastructure business provides multidisciplinary engineering services and integrated solutions across a wide range major civil engineering and infrastructure projects.
Drawing upon a diverse skill set and a proven track record of delivery we are playing a leading role in some of the world’s most challenging and exciting engineering projects. These include Airports, Defence, Energy, Marine, Civil Infrastructure, Transportation, Water, Education, Commercial/ Residential and Rail in the UK and Abroad. We pride ourselves in offering a truly multi-disciplinary capability and bring exciting opportunities to influence major project from beginning to end. Our vision is to be the world’s best Infrastructure Consultancy, with a broad range of clients influencing policy and future technology.
This key post will be based out of our Bristol office where we have a thriving Atkins office and a number of major ongoing projects including nuclear, defence, and general infrastructure. Our portfolio of work continues to grow and we will offer a challenging and rewarding opportunity to apply knowledge, experience and problem solving skills whilst providing good opportunities for career development. If you have a passion for engineering and want to understand where a career with Atkins might lead then we would like to hear from you.
- Undertake role of Design Team Leader for major projects with a high Civil engineering and heavy structural engineering content
- Management of projects to programme, budget and quality
- Provide leadership for technical delivery, including playing an active role in our national technical excellence programme
- Provide leadership for our people ensuring successful management and development of engineers and technicians
- Training and mentoring of juniors, ideally DE moving toward SCE with the ICE or similar training scheme
- Growing the team to meet project resource and skills needs
- Applying and growing our BIM capability including integrated design tools and data management systems
- Make a significant contribution to continuous improvement and innovation
- Make a significant contribution to the business plan and strategic objectives as well as achieving targets
- Champion implementation of business and financial systems
- Regular liaison with clients to develop good working relationships; understand client needs and agree best value technical solutions to meet project challenges
- Production, check and review of designs for projects in accordance with relevant design standards and codes including client specific requirements: Governance of design solutions to corporate standards and client requirements
- Co-ordination of multiple discipline inputs (including health and safety, sustainability, environment, planning) to achieve integrated designs/solutions
- Ensuring successful delivery of projects by working collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary environment including working closely with our offshore resource to maximise the leverage they bring to projects
- Preparing tenders, working with internal market leads to help promote and sell Atkins services
- Prepare schedules of work, work breakdown structures, risk schedules
- Health and safety management of design including application of CDM 2015
- Civil Engineering Degree or equivalent qualification
- Chartered Civil / Structural Engineer
- Significant demonstrable experience within a Civil Engineering Design environment with particular emphasis on heavy civil engineering aspects.
- Up to date knowledge of current design codes relating to Civil Engineering
- Proven successful track record in design delivery including multidisciplinary design
- Successful experience of project and team collaboration
- Successful record of people management and development
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proven track record of successful Client Management
- Experience in statutory consents, applications for connections/ discharge consents, planning approvals and assessments
- Flexible and engaging
- BIM/Digital competent
- Commercially astute
- Proactive Health and Safety champion
- Ability to mentor more junior staff