Atkins’ Education market is growing fast and has ambitious targets to deliver the very best planning, architecture, engineering and surveying services to clients in the public and private sector. Whether designing bespoke new build facilities or providing innovative solutions to existing building we prides ourselves in offering intelligent, sustainable solutions unrivalled expertise.
With a key focus on helping to win more work in this growing higher education market. Atkins require and Associate Director/ Associate Architect, a work winner doer, to be based in our London office to help secure and deliver new work opportunities.
The office has a growing workload across the whole sector and we are establishing ourselves in the higher education market in London and the Southeast. The role requires an individual with direct experience of work winning HE projects as well as lead coordinator roles and delivering projects at all stages. We are seeking creative designers as well as technically focused individuals. Demonstrable track record and familiarity with University clients is essential. Ability to engage with clients and stakeholders is also essential.
Successful candidates should be familiar with the full construction process from business development to bidding and project delivery - including the successful commercial management of projects. The opportunity is to work both locally and within our national business to win and deliver work. With these opportunities there will be a requirement for flexibility in respect of travel and occasionally location based on project demand.
- To lead and support business development and work winning/bidding within the further and higher education sector.
- To secure work through bidding and developing compelling design concepts.
- Establish, maintain and develop relationships with key clients and prospective clients
- Proven track record of winning and developing new business opportunities
- Identifying opportunities and supporting the development of winning bids for projects in the education sector both single discipline and multi-disciplinary
- To manage and inspire a team through strong and appropriate leadership
- To ensure design responses are pragmatic and respond to the client brief whilst respecting the opportunities and constraints that each site affords, through climate, context and culture.
- To continue to develop designs that are firmly rooted with a strong narrative and that seek to enhance our reputation
- Lead projects by providing design and technical leadership for major projects
- Liaison with key clients and be capable of discussing design/technical solutions to stakeholders including technical and non-technical clients – both in projects and at tender stage
- Successful delivery of projects to a high level of quality and client satisfaction acting as Lead Consultant/Design Manager
- Strategic vision of the market and industry and ability to focus our business to take full advantage of market conditions
- Detailed knowledge of our competitors, understand our market differentiators and help to shape them
- Extensive experience in preparing bids and tendering.
- Proven team management skills and experience
- Development of the design culture and capability of our multi-disciplinary design team(s)
- An inclusive leader with a confident operating style who is able to deal with diversity within the teams that they manage
- A resourceful, articulate and clear communicator with the ability to influence others
- Be able to work calmly under pressure and lead, inspire and motivate our teams