“We are a forward thinking business - continually looking to innovate, and never standing still.” Anthony, building services engineer
We are looking to add to our successful Building Services team by recruiting an Associate Electrical Engineer. You’ll be based in our Bristol office with a requirement to attend client meetings off site, visit site locations and work with other Atkins offices to develop relationships with clients and Atkins colleagues.
As part of our building services team, you’ll get the chance to put your own ideas and innovations into place on high profile projects. You can really make your mark on the buildings and infrastructure that are making the world we live in a better place .
When you join our Infrastructure division, you’ll get to see your ideas put into place on the design and engineering projects that keep the world turning. You’ll work with a growing team nationwide, who are all about making spaces and places work perfectly for people. Whether it’s an airport, transport interchange, university campus or the world’s first tidal lagoon, you’ll find that no project is too big or complex for us to handle.
- Undertake Client/Design Team briefings to establish project criteria.
- Assist in the preparation of fee proposals for submission to potential Clients and agree same with the Head of Department
- Undertake periodic project reviews to ensure technical and programme constraints are met.
- Provide regular advice to the Head of Department regarding staff levels, present and future workload, operating standards, etc.
- Involved in the preparation of reports, designs, specifications and contract documents
- Act as Team Leader within the Electrical Building Services Team in Bristol
- You must be technically capable and willing to assist less experienced members of the team
- To technically review designs produced and verify completeness to technical and Atkins standards
- Liaising with other engineers/technicians to ensure updates to technical standards are maintained and disseminated to the team
- Ensure that design briefs are completed satisfactorily
- Promote and incorporate sustainable design wherever possible
- Promote and improve inter-discipline working with other disciplines such as Architecture, Building Surveying, Civil and Structural. Monitor emerging legislation and engineering standards relating to electrical building services and ensure their implementation
- Supervise the preparation of contract documents
- Liaise with clients, professional organisations, contractors, suppliers, sub contractors and other design
- Provide technological input and supervise technical input by others within the electrical building services discipline
- Operate the Quality Assurance system, quality control and document management in line with current policy
- Identify and meet effectively the requirements and expectations of clients
- Develop, in conjunction with other colleagues, existing Client contracts to maintain and develop Client base.
- Help to identify business opportunities
- Responsible for efficient and economic delivery of a team of engineers and technicians within projects, including remote based teams across the UK and India
- Motivate other members of the team and wider community by providing coaching, training, mentoring and CPD delivery
- Assisting in the monitoring of and reporting on capital and fee expenditure
- Assist in the production of fee estimates and bids.
- Manage resources, costs and change control to ensure that projects are delivered on time and within budget
- Degree in Electrical Engineering or electrical based subject (or equivalent qualification)
- Chartered Engineer Status (or progressing towards Chartered Engineer Status) is essential
- Membership of a Professional Engineering Institution
- Excellent communication skills in written and spoken English, able to inspire, influence and negotiate
- Similar experience working in a design consultancy, with experience of concept, scheme and detail design across a range of sectors.
- Good experience in a variety of sectors is preferable including the design of specialist electrical systems for a wide range of heavily serviced facilities
- Experienced gained within a Contractor environment is additionally welcome
- In depth and up to date knowledge of electrical wired systems
- Working knowledge and use of relevant software packages including Hevacomp, Amtech and lighting packages, Microsoft Office suite of products
- Knowledge of BIM, AutoCAD, Revit and associated design management tools
- A good understanding of quality assurance, safety and environmental sustainability
- Able to make decisions, act on own initiative and operate in a pro-active way
- Financial awareness and the ability to control
- Ability to manage projects and design commissions relating to building services including project finances. Good ability to build up and maintain client and team relationships
- Effective team worker, contributing to the team and wider objectives
- Excellent report writing skills, experience of making presentations and attending meetings with clients essential
- Organise and prioritise their own time and tasks to enable the simultaneous running of several projects
- Be able to logically analyse problems from first principles to determine solutions
- Possess strong communication skills, both written and verbal, and be able to understand and express technical concepts clearly and accurately
- A good understanding of sustainability issues including passive design and low and zero carbon technologies
- Able to manage own workload and the electrical engineering team
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations