Atkins Design and Engineering South East are looking to strengthen their Engineering Technology team by the appointment of an Associate Chartered Engineer. To be based principally in the South East (Euston and Epsom core offices).
The Engineering Technology team is a close knit team of technically focused engineers, who aim to provide solutions to complex problems. There is a demand for an analytically focused, practically minded Engineer, with a Mechanical, Civil or Structural Engineering background, who is looking for a challenge.
Successful applicants will join a forward thinking team, working in a collaborative environment, and will be given opportunities to make real contributions to major engineering projects
- Delivering multiple projects or parts of larger projects to completion, within cost budget and to programme
- Ensuring the provision of efficient and high quality engineering services, to a high level of quality assurance
- First point of contact for clients, contractors, design team and third parties
- Offer support and guidance to more junior members of the team
- Effectively manage own time which may be necessary if allocated to more than one project
- Build client and internal relationships and help identify business opportunities
- Please read these requirements carefully before applying and ensure they are evident on your CV if you have achieved them.
- Honours Degree in Mechanical, Civil or Structural Engineering
- Chartered Engineer (MIMechE, MIStructE or MICE)
- Additional Security or Blast design qualifications or affiliations would be beneficial, such as a member of Register of Security Engineers and Specialists (RSES)
- Experience of dynamics, blast design and/or pipework and mechanical plant assessment
- Expertise in the analysis of explosions and consideration of the loading and structural response in the analysis, structural engineering and design of major facilities
- Expertise in analysis of explosion effects and consideration of the loading and response in the analysis, engineering and design of the plant within major facilities
- Expertise of how to incorporate Security and Counter Terrorism Measures into design solutions
- Experience and understanding of American and British standards and guidelines for Explosive, Weapons effects and Counter Terrorism Measures would be beneficial
- Extensive experience of Mechanical Engineering Building Design and working on multi-discipline projects
- Practical experience of reinforced concrete design and RC detailing of complex reinforced concrete structures, to British Standards and preferably American codes
- Proven experience on providing analytical solutions using applicable design software
- Have experience, and a want to, technically lead and collaborate within a technically orientated team
- Established skill and delivery in the design and analysis of concrete and steel structures, and be familiar with current design standards and working practices
- Proven experience working across sectors including airports, education, commercial, residential and defence
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to manage and work to budget and programme, to control costs and manage change control processes
- A flexible attitude to both the type of work undertaken and the level of responsibility given
- Good working knowledge of relevant finite element software e.g. ABAQUS
- Experience of working with, and managing, small focused technical teams
- Flexible approach to work location
- You should have the ability to make decisions, act on your own initiative
- You will have a proactive, co-operative and helpful attitude to colleagues and clients:
- A self-motivating, reliable and consistent approach to work is essential
- Practically minded with a problem solving nature
- You must be able to work independently and in teams
- Acceptance of responsibility for work carried out
- A flexible and adaptable approach to work is required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career in engineering, but who require flexibility. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.