We have an exciting opportunity for a Business Development Director – Transportation to join us at this pivotal point in our journey.The location on this role is flexible as this is a National role.
Atkins is the market leading technical Asset Management consultant in the UK Transportation Market. We want to build on this position to grow our Asset Management services through new propositions, expanding our service offer to include managed services, digital solutions in addition to our traditional consultancy work. We need an experienced solution Sales Director to work with our Practice, Technical and Digital teams to drive growth across our UK and Europe Transportation Markets.
The creation of a new transportation division in Atkins brings together the capabilities of our Highway and Rail teams into a single business of 3,500 talented engineers and professionals. The UK transport sector is experiencing unprecedented levels of investment and Atkins is playing lead roles in a diverse range of projects such as high speed rail, key asset management jobs and the Venturer driverless car project.
Asset Management is a core service for our Transportation team. We support our clients with services including Asset Management transformation, Consultancy and Technical Advice, Digital Surveying and Model generation, BIM model development and hosting, Digital tools and processes and Optimising Delivery Performance. As a core part of our strategy, we are investing in our digital Asset Management and Digital Engineering services and exploring new models for partnering with our clients.
This role presents a unique opportunity to join a dynamic team, to play a leading role in building and executing our plan for the future, driving sales and proposition development in our Asset Management strategy and growth plan. It will necessitate ambition, creativity, technical knowledge, management experience and commercial acumen to create and manage new revenue streams for the business.
Key areas of responsibility will include:
• Delivering in-year sales
• Building pipeline
• Developing value propositions with colleagues and proactively taking to market
• Working with account directors to formulate key account plans, identifying opportunities for new service penetration
• Building a leading presence in the Asset Management ecosystem, establishing strong senior relationships in new and existing markets
• Work with the marketing team to ensure that Atkins insight, thought leadership and marketing campaigns are properly targeted to build our asset management profile and deliver return on investment
• Developing and executing further growth strategies
Required Skills & Experience
• Knowledge and experience of the UK Transportation sector
• Knowledge and experience of new digital / data / technology.
Advantageous but not essential
Knowledge & experience of Asset Management processes within any Sector (especially Transportation) would also be advantageous but is not essential.
Other Essential criteria
• Solution sales capability – engaging clients on their business issues and co-developing solutions that drive client benefit and commercial returns
• Sales, client and consultancy market-facing background
• Significant contributions to sales strategy, building business in new areas
• Experience authoring compelling bids and pitching to clients with a high success rate
• A track record of leading and winning major revenue opportunities
• Experience of successfully operating within a target-driven environment, with a consistent track record of achieving or exceeding targets
• Experience managing a pipeline of opportunities, with solid account planning, timely reporting and CRM administration
New Business Propositions
• Experience of devising and executing strategy and growth plans
• Strategic thinking and an ability to identify and exploit competitive advantage
• An ability to analyse markets, understand client needs and convert opportunities into compelling value propositions
• Experience of building effective networks, both internally and externally
• Excellence in client relationship management, with an ability to access and influence at senior level with ease
• Experience of developing strategic relationships with clients and exploring ways to add significant value to the client’s agenda
The preferred candidate’s core skills will include client relationships, business development and market analysis, sales strategy development and execution. The successful candidate will also be:
• A driven, competitive and goal-oriented individual, with a track record of achieving targets
• Naturally Strategic with strong business acumen.