“The variation in projects is fantastic and there are always new challenges.” Pete, structural engineer
As a structural engineer with Atkins, you’ll get to work on projects ranging from airports to local schools, major metro lines and submarine facilities. With the next challenge always right around the corner, you’ll keep learning and developing throughout your career with us.
We are looking to develop our teams in Newcastle, Leeds, Warrington or Glasgow - the Atkins Infrastructure business have secured a number of major engineering projects which have generated the need to expand our structural engineering capability nationally.
A flexible approach to travel and willingness to consider secondments to other Atkins offices or Clients premises around the UK would be a significant advantage.
- Lead and undertake structural engineering design in our Tier 1 Markets of Higher / Further Education (Universities and Colleges), Energy, Defence, Aviation, Cities and Development (Civic, Culture, Offices, Retail, and Leisure) and Transportation.
- Liaise with key clients and be capable of discussing design / technical solutions to stakeholders including technical and non-technical Clients, Architects and Building Services Engineers etc.
- Ensure that projects are sufficiently resourced flagging up problems to the Team Leader and helping to resolve.
- A resourceful articulate and clear communicator, with the ability to influence others.
- Delegating work to team members, programming deliverables and monitoring progress.
- Identify and respond to project and commercial risks and opportunities.
- Deliver profit / margin
- Support and develop junior staff through guidance, mentoring and leadership of their development.
- Prepare and check calculations, specifications, drawings and reports for a wide range of structures and materials.
- Chartered - MIStructE or MICE
- Wide experience of Structural Engineering of schemes of varying size and complexity.
- Experience of current relevant design codes. Eg Eurocodes.
- Good knowledge of current design software including Tekla Building Designer, Tedds and Robot etc.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both verbally and in writing
- Ability to assess, simplify and solve complex engineering problems
- A hard working and flexible individual, who is a team player, possesses good attention to detail, is reliable, proactive and shows initiative
- Self-motivated and able to work both independently as well as within a larger multi-discipline team
- A high expectation of performance for themselves and other members of the team
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels and across disciplines
- A supportive and encouraging approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team
- Ability to adapt to different cultures and working environments to build rapport with clients
- Be available to travel across the UK and work away from home, with potential periods overseas on assignments, when required
- Have a valid UK driving licence
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations