Our Transportation division are looking for a Chief Systems Engineer to support the Consultancy Practice, reporting directly into the Practice Manager, Rail Technology Consultancy.
The Transportation division in Atkins brings together the capabilities of our Highway and Rail teams into a single business of 3000 talented engineers and professionals. The UK transport sector is experiencing unprecedented levels of investment and Atkins is playing lead roles in projects such as High Speed Rail, Driverless Metro Projects, designing major new road schemes such as the new Aberdeen Bypass and upgrading our existing networks to deliver future demand.
Our consultants are working with government and local authorities to develop integrated transport strategies to ensure the urban areas we live in continue to work. Our investment in new skills and technology will change the way we travel in the future. The Rail and Technical Advisory practice will be the focus of our business consulting skills and capabilities in investment planning, technology, high level feasibility studies, procurement and transactions across all transport modes.
The unique breadth of services in transport combined with our scale makes us the leading UK transport consultancy and we are seeking talented individuals who can inspire our people and collaborate with our clients to ensure we continue to shape the future of transport.
• Be a focal point for our consultancy activities in the Rail Technology (e.g.CBTC, ERTMS/ETCS, TMS) space
• Lead large scale technical projects in the rail advisory space
• Work closely with the Rail Technology and Systems Engineering & Safety Practice Manager to support the technical development of staff within the Rail Technology and Systems Engineering & Safety practice team
• Work closely with the market and business development teams to engage with clients and actively sell our technical capabilities
• Lead the technical aspects of major bidding opportunities in the Rail Technology space
• Assist the Business Development Director (Digital Railway) in positioning Atkins at the forefront of the future vision for the UK Railway, including assistance with the definition of, and thought leadership in, this market.
• Proven experience in a similar role in the Rail Technology discipline area
• Experienced in leading major technical advisory projects in the Systems Engineering discipline area
• Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
• Strong communication skills to interface with clients and internal stakeholders
• Strong collaborative behaviours to interface with Practice Director, other Practice Managers , Market teams, and other stakeholders
• Performance driven
• Customer centric
• Act as Project Manager/Director on large scale advisory projects in the Rail Technology discipline area, and lead on in technical delivery on these projects.
• Technical leadership in the discipline of Rail Technology in our rail industry commissions, and developing Atkins approaches in this regard to be of value to clients and best in class.
• Promotion of Atkins capabilities throughout the rail industry and with our key clients
• Networking with other experts in other Atkins divisions to cross fertilise skills and promote staff development and mobility
• Assist Atkins in its drive to become the major industry leader in the Rail Technology space, through the delivery of technically excellent work
• Be visible in the Rail discipline through the publication of thought pieces and conference papers
• Lead on strategic bids, and oversee business as usual bids within Discipline Group
• Responsible for winning work through maximising additional/repeat/follow-on work from clients
• Help drive innovation in service offerings
• Support business development with technical expertise
• Spot opportunities and foster client relationships in the Rail Technology space
• Ensure that business activity conforms to the Business Management System (BMS) and does not present an unacceptable risk
• Assist the Practice Manager, Rail Technology Consultancy to oversee career and talent development of staff in the discipline, through the provision of mentoring services to key junior members of staff.
• Support the Practice Director, Rail and Technical Advisory Services, in wider initiatives across the Practice.
• Support the Practice Director, Rail and Technical Advisory Services, as part of a senior work winning team facing the rail consultancy market, including identifying and pursuing new opportunities in the UK and internationally.
• Able to lead the technical work so that Atkins has a reputation for technical excellence and quality of delivery in Rail Technology services
• Measurable experience in a number of the following fields: CBTC, ERTMS/ETCS, TMS, Rolling Stock, EMC, Traction Power
• A hard working and flexible individual, who is reliable, proactive and innovative, whilst able to keep calm under pressure and when working to often demanding deadlines
• A high expectation of performance for themselves and other members of the team, coupled with a drive for continuous improvement
• Customer focused
• Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills both verbally and in writing
• Able to build and motivate a project team and demonstrate good management qualities.
• Self-motivated and able to work both independently as well as within a larger multi-discipline team
• A supportive and encouraging approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team, combined with a passion for staff development.
• Able to adapt to different cultures and working environments to build rapport with both clients and the practice teams
• Be available to travel across the UK, and internationally, if required
• Strong business acumen with a demonstrated knowledge of identifying potential value creation
• Excellent team player,
• Degree level or equivalent professional qualification in relevant discipline