Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of our ideas.
We work together across an international network of offices. This means that wherever in the world a project is being delivered, our clients benefit from industry-leading expertise, as well as a dedicated local contact. We understand the importance of having deep roots in the community; knowing and understanding local requirements, practices and culture. This allows us to be true collaborative partners with our clients, so that together, we can tackle complex projects and enhance communities throughout the U.S. and around the world.
Want to work for a company who values passion, doing the right thing, putting clients first and working collaboratively to provide excellence in all they do? Take heart, you'll find it here.
Atkins is seeking an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our San Diego, California Office as a Civil Engineering Intern. The Intern will support staff performing work for public works agencies, water and wastewater clients in the greater San Diego and Orange County areas, including planning and design related to public works, water and wastewater infrastructure.
- Atkins’s internship program in Transportation/Civil Engineering offers students pursuing a degree in Transportation/Civil Engineering the opportunity to gain valuable, hands-on experience, and mentorship in one of the following transportation/civil engineering fields: roadway design, traffic, utility design, drainage, construction and aviation. Interns can expect to perform actual engineering work on projects, learn from experienced senior staff, and gain exposure in a variety of technical areas of engineering.
- In addition to technical training, interns are introduced to the Atkins business model, culture, history and service lines. Interns are encouraged to develop relationships on an individual, team, and company level. The program is also designed to facilitate intern involvement in team, company, and San Diego activities.
- Internships typically last one semester, with a maximum duration of six months. An opportunity for a co-op past the internship period may also be available pending group needs and performance.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Intern responsibilities may consist of but are not limited to the following:
- Perform a variety of technical tasks to assist engineers
- Establish and maintain records or files of technical data or documents
- Perform mathematical calculations
- Perform various drafting and CAD assignments
- Compile data to create engineering estimates
- Assist in the preparation of graphic displays and presentation materials
- Perform other such duties as the supervisor may deem necessary
- High school plus two years of specialized training such as is obtained in vocational or technical school, or completion of an Associate's degree program in a related technical field, or completion of the first two years in a four-year college or university technical program. No experience is required with a related Associate's degree or its equivalent; two years of related experience is required without such formal training.
- Math skills to perform simple calculations; willingness to learn. Basic computer skills required to enter data into spreadsheets or databases. AutoCAD Civil 3D experience a plus.
- Engineer in Training (EIT) is a plus
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in a Bachelor's degree program in Civil Engineering, be either a rising junior or senior, and include their current GPA on their resume.
- Applicants are asked to note which field(s) of transportation/civil engineering (if any) they have particular interest in: planning, roadway design, traffic, utility design, drainage, construction and/or aviation.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement by clicking the following link: