Atkins Nuclear business has been operating for over four decades. We have operations based in the UK, Europe, the Middle East and North America, and are fully engaged on the development of the next generation of nuclear power stations. Alongside our new build expertise, we maintain existing nuclear fleet and decommission those coming to the end of their life. With opportunities in key nuclear sectors around the world, Atkins can provide an exciting career.
As a result of continued growth in the Atkins Rutherford House, Cumbria (Whitehaven) Nuclear office, we are looking to recruit experienced civil/structural engineers with a proven track record in the production of engineering/technical deliverables on multi-discipline design. Experience in the Nuclear Industry would be preferable, but is not essential.
The successful candidate shall be required to deliver technical projects with a team of engineers involved in civil/structural engineering design and assessment. He/she will collaborate with other engineers to deliver work to time and quality. The candidate will also be supporting the development and career progress of less experienced engineers in the team.
- Undertake analysis of structures and design of elements in all major materials.
- Be customer focused, client liaison and communication.
- To lead small teams of junior Engineers and Technicians in the technical design and delivery of calculations, specifications, reports and drawings.
- To assist successful delivery of projects, work to meet targets, work within budget and programme.
- Undertaking detailed design solutions in accordance with the relevant British Standards/International codes.
- Liaise with Project Manager to deliver project.
- AUTOCAD experience
- Based in the Cumbria (Whitehaven) office.
- Honours Degree (or equivalent) in Civil or Structural Engineering or related discipline (Master level preferred).
- Previous engineering design/analytical experience is essential
- Good standard of written English and the ability to write clear technical reports.
- Reasonable level of commercial awareness and demonstrate the ability to work within budget and programme.
- Highly motivated and proactive, have good interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively.
- Candidates should have a good technical background, including first principles analysis and knowledge and use of relevant UK and international codes and standards.
- Interpersonal skills, able to build and develop relationships internally and externally.
- A high level of relevant experience as a lead Civil and Structural Engineer.
- Experience of highly regulated UK industries plus an understanding of relevant legislative standards.
- Design and analysis experience of structures under dynamic loading e.g. seismic, impact, blast is desirable. (Experience on US codes is desirable).
- Working in multi-disciplinary teams on high value construction projects.
- Innovative and open to ideas.
- Flexible in approach, willing to travel to work on client sites.
- Nuclear background.
- Knowledge of AUTOCAD 3D/REVIT or similar 3D software.
- Travel to other company sites may be necessary.There will also be opportunities for international travel and applicants with a desire for non-UK based assignments will be welcomed.
- Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
- We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
- Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.