Our Transportation Division is currently seeking Civils Associate in our Birmingham office to assist with the delivery of a wide variety of multi-disciplinary highway projects across the UK. Using your excellent people, technical and delivery skills, you’ll drive a variety of civil and structural designs for new build, renewal, maintenance and assessment works.
You’ll be working as part of one of the largest transportation consultancies in the UK, and a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators. Major clients include Local Authorities, Highways England, Developers and/or major Contractors.
- Leading and managing sizeable multi-disciplinary tenders pulling together teams from across large organisations.
- Leading and managing sizeable multi-disciplinary projects pulling together teams from across large organisations.
Support the Practice Manager to:
- Enthuse our people through effective performance and development plans that align to their career opportunities.
- Maintain utilisation within the team in the UK through efficient resource management whilst facilitating the flow of work to the GDC.
- Liaise with the Practice Manager to ensure we have sufficient resources with the right skills to deliver our current and future market strategies.
- Support the technical development of staff within the Practice team.
- Work with the market and business development teams to engage with clients and actively sell our technical capabilities.
- Chartered (or a clear demonstration of approaching) status with a recognised UK professional institution; e.g. ICE, CIHT or IStructE.
- Demonstrable leadership experience of a sizeable team.
- Ability to provide strong safety leadership within dynamic working environments.
- The ideal candidate will have a good understanding and familiarity with Atkins corporate systems and governance processes.
- Demonstrable evidence of leading and managing sizeable multi-disciplinary tenders pulling together teams from across large organisations.
- Demonstrable evidence of leading and managing sizeable multi-disciplinary projects pulling together teams from across large organisations.
- Proven track record in supporting the professional training and development including apprentice and graduate programmes.
- Experience in managing organisational change.
- Experience of successfully managing team and individual performance.
- Strong collaborative behaviours to interface with the Practice Director, Practice Managers, Market teams and other stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong communication skills to interface with clients and internal stakeholders.
- Performance driven.
- Customer centred.
- Leading technical delivery of civil engineering projects / civil engineering input in to complex, multi-disciplinary projects.
- Using your excellent analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise and recommend options.
- Overseeing completion of designs and the production of and review design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications.
- Staying abreast of industry developments and changes in standards.
- Mentoring and supporting the development of the team.
- Developing more junior staff by technical training and mentoring.
- Managing senior stakeholders.
- Maintaining and developing excellent professional relationships which can secure repeat business.
- Presenting to clients and key stakeholders in a professional, responsive and client focused manner.
- Client, programme and financial management of projects.
- Expanding the Atkins business and assisting with the delivery of business targets.
- Preparing fee offers for agreement with the client.
- Assigning work to and checking / reviewing the project team’s work.
- Working collaboratively across the Atkins Group.
- Line management of junior staff.
- BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
- This role requires Chartership status with a recognised UK professional institution; e.g. ICE, CIHT or IStructE. If not yet secured a clear demonstration of securing chartered status will be linked to probation period reviews.
- Experience of working with our key clients; e.g. Local Authorities, Highways England, Developers and/or major Contractors.
- Ability to lead and contribute to bids and tenders.
- Ability to develop and agree scopes and manage the internal technical supply chain, including budgets, programme and quality of deliverable, delivering within set time frame.
- Good project management skills, commercial awareness, financial control and ability to deliver across a range of contract types. This will include an ability to manage stakeholders; e.g. specialist suppliers, independent checkers and local authorities.
- Commercially astute and an excellent communicator with the desire to take on extra management responsibilities and keep on developing your skills and our team.
- Thorough understanding of relevant design standards, including Eurocodes and those of Highways England.
- Ability to research information and data independently and ability to resolve contractual issues.
- Ability to find solutions to complex organisational problems.
- Awareness of business models adopted in the sector and commercial and technical risks.
- Experience of client engagement and business development activities.
- Positive and practical with experience of managing resources, mentoring engineers and inspiring multidisciplinary teams to exceed client expectations.
- Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Hold a valid UK driving licence.
- Able support the Practice team so that it has a reputation for technical excellence and quality of delivery in a relevant discipline.
- A hard working and flexible individual, who is reliable, proactive and innovative, whilst able to keep calm under pressure and when working to often demanding deadlines.
- A high expectation of performance for themselves and other members of the team, coupled with a drive for continuous improvement.
- Customer focused.
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- Able to build and motivate a team and demonstrate good people management skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work both independently as well as within a larger multi-discipline team.
- A supportive and encouraging approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team, combined with a passion for staff development.
- Able to adapt to different cultures and working environments to build rapport with both clients and other stakeholders.
- Be available to travel across the UK if required.
- Strong business acumen with a demonstrated knowledge of identifying potential value creation
- Excellent team player.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations