Atkins is one of the largest engineering and design consultancies in the UK, one of the largest multidisciplinary consultancies in Europe and one of the largest design firms in the world.
Our Networks & Drainage Engineering team is one of the largest in the UK with clients that include utility companies, local authorities, MOD and independent businesses. We are currently seeking a Water Networks Modelling Team Leader to lead our team based in Edinburgh.
The candidate must have a sound knowledge and experience of clean Water Networks, clean water modelling packages and experience in the design of solutions that improve water infrastructure systems. They should be able to work at a Principal engineer level and to lead technical, programme and budget requirements. #KB1
Education and Professional Qualifications
• Degree in Engineering (BSc or MSc in Civil Engineering)
• Full Member of an appropriate professional institution (MICE and/or CIWEM)
• Chartered or near to Chartered Status (CEng, CEnv or relevant other)
• Experience in clean water infrastructure network systems.
• Experience in Clean water modelling packages such as InfoWorks WS
• Experienced people manager with good interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
• Good communication skills to interface with clients and internal stakeholders.
• Demonstrable collaborative behaviours to interface with the Networks and Drainage Practice Manager, Practice Director and other parts of Atkins.
• Experience in understanding client requirements and developing winning bids.
• Lead the Water Networks team in Scotland within the Networks & Drainage Practice, reinforcing the team’s technical excellence and flexibility to meet internal and external client needs.
• Provide line supervision, oversee career & talent development and manage employees.
• Assist the Regional Practice Manager and liaise through the Practice with the Market teams to establish resource demand based on pipeline of opportunities.
• Manage local team performance with focus on meeting or exceeding productivity targets while supporting wider Practice and Atkins objectives.
• Work with the Regional Practice Manager to ensure skills and capacity meet the needs of the Water markets through targeted recruitment and focused staff development.
• Act as Project Manager on Water modelling projects.
• Lead on bid development for Water Network studies, responsible for liaising with other parts of Atkins to ensure a coherent offer to clients.
• Assist the Water Operations manager to identify and implement opportunities for business innovation for the benefit of clients and Atkins as a whole.
• Ensure that business activity conforms to the Business Management System (BMS) and does not present an unacceptable risk.
• Able to lead the team so that it has a nationally recognised reputation for technical excellence and quality of delivery.
• A proven track record of delivering modelling commissions
• A hard working and flexible individual, who is reliable, proactive and innovative, whilst able to keep calm under pressure and when working to often demanding deadlines
• A high expectation of performance for themselves and other members of the team, coupled with a drive for continuous improvement.
• Able to build and motivate a team and demonstrate good management qualities.
• A supportive and encouraging approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team, combined with a passion for staff development.
• Able to adapt to different cultures and working environments to build rapport with both clients and the practice teams.
• Be available to travel across the UK if required.
• Degree level or equivalent professional qualification in relevant discipline.