The Market Commercial Manager position is a senior Client facing role and a key member of the Strategic Market management team.
Reporting to the Divisional Commercial Director, the Market Commercial Manager will operate at a strategic level and be responsible for providing expert commercial advice and support to the Market Director. Principal duties will include the development of effective, Market focussed commercial strategies for the capture/exploitation of new business opportunities, the identification and (in conjunction with the Divisional Commercial Director) management of significant Market risks and disputes, in addition to leading the commercial relationship with the Client/s in the relevant Market.
The role will as act as the main point of contact for a particular Market for the purposes of Group Legal, Company Secretariat and other Atkins Group functions.
It is expected that the Market Commercial Manager shall demonstrate the following attributes:
• A proven, broadly based track record in a Client facing, senior commercial management role, ideally in a related industry
• Professionally qualified with an industry recognised body
• Expertise in both pre and post-contract environments
• Sound knowledge of the relevant Market Area and detailed understanding of a variety of pricing and procurement models
• Self-motivated and capable of independent and creative thought
• The ability to develop and implement agile and effective commercial strategies
• Expert contractual and commercial knowledge in the relevant Market Area
• Experienced in the identification and management of key risks and opportunities
• Confident presenter with excellent communication, negotiation and influencing skills
• Comfortable in a team working environment and with the ability to broker relationships with key stakeholders
• Experienced in dispute management and avoidance
The Market Commercial Manager will be responsible for the following key deliverables:
• To actively participate as a key member of the Market management team, liaising with and providing robust commercial support and advice to the Market Director, Operations Director and Client Directors
• To establish and manage strong relationships with senior Client commercial management (usually at Commercial Director level) in the relevant Market area
• Through regular engagement with the Operations Director and the Project Delivery Commercial Director, to ensure a thorough understanding of key risks and issues within the Market and in conjunction with the Divisional Commercial Director, to develop strategies to manage such matters
• To work closely with the Disputes Avoidance & Resolution Manager to identify potential disputes, engage with senior Client stakeholders and where achievable, to avoid formal disputes and mitigate any damage to the business relationship
• To collate, analyse and communicate key commercial performance information to Clients in an agreed format at portfolio (Market) level, with an emphasis on performance in the conversion of change, outturn cost forecasts, claims and key risks and issues
• The development, review and implementation of pricing strategy for the Market
• To lead the Commercial input to bidding; to identify requirements for additional commercial support to new bids and request allocation of the appropriate resources from The Project Delivery Commercial Director
• To act as the key point of contact with Atkins Legal on behalf of the relevant Market; to co-ordinate all requests for legal advice and to provide clear and concise instructions to the appropriate legal adviser. In addition, to engage with Atkins legal on a regular basis to provide visibility of future workload
• To lead commercial input to the monthly profit and loss report for the relevant Market.
• To prepare ad hoc commercial reports as requested by the Market Director and the Commercial Director Transportation
• To identify and monitor project and business risks and provide periodic updates to the Active Risk Management tool
• To identify potential claims under Atkins Limited Professional Indemnity Insurance, provide periodic updates to the Claims Register and ensure that the Group Insurance function is kept fully informed of any changes
• To participate in periodic project/portfolio reviews and to provide robust commercial challenge
• To act as a knowledge centre in respect of Atkins commercial governance processes and procedures and to monitor compliance therewith across the relevant Market.
• To deputise as required for the Commercial Director Transportation and the Market Director
• To support business improvement initiatives, including the promotion and development of commercial awareness across the business
• To represent the commercial function at appropriate industry forums
• To adopt and promote a responsible approach to health and safety and to challenge poor practises
• To prepare for and cooperate with internal and external audits
• To demonstrate collaborative behaviours in all aspects of the role
• To keep up to date with changes in corporate governance, commercial process and procedures and ensure that any such changes are properly communicated to the team