Atkins Defence and Security Division seeks to appoint director level consulting roles focussed on providing capability to our clients to lead and deliver major complex programmes. Our clients are confronted with some of the most technically and professionally challenging investments. These multi-million pound programmes include major investment in infrastructure and/or equipment, they may also entail major transformational changes incorporating the introduction of new digital and cyber technologies. All are challenged with complex stakeholders, supply chains and client communities. Atkins consulting staff are focussed on helping our client secure and enhance the defence of the public and the nation’s wider interests.
About the role:
This position will report to the Director of Programme and Project Management (P3M) within the business. It is expected this individual will have clear experience applicable to leading significant Programmes of work within these sectors. It will be expected to demonstrate good communication and engagement skills with the most senior of client’s decision makers and other executive level activities. A recognised professional in P3M, able to outline and lead thought leadership and help influence the future direction of capability development within our business.
This individual will have accountable revenue targets and will work closely with our Market Directors and Business Development Director. We would expect a developing engagement across the wider Atkins practices, to help to identify other strategic client opportunities to guide our long term new business development plans.
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
Overall responsibility for commercial management and delivery of the services in accordance with the agreement.
• Accountable for the successful delivery of engagements on behalf of our clients. Typically major programme delivery roles.
• Will lead Atkins teams in execution of major assignments on behalf of our client. The provision of oversight and leadership to multi-disciplinary teams of circa 100 within the client account, with ability to anticipate and co-ordinate responses to client business needs.
• Responsibility for the overall management of technical quality, commercial performance, and ongoing client satisfaction.
• New business development, to lead for a specific engagement/framework in collaboration with the market/client director, engaging with the key senior client personnel to identify needs and identify and develop valued propositions.
• Establishing delivery plans with clients negotiating and agreeing the engagement to the contractual arrangements. To be responsible for managing the financial outcome performance in excess of the agreed financial objectives
• Fostering teamwork and commitment to the Atkins behavioural standards
• Support the drive to deliver innovation, technical excellence, knowledge sharing, and process standardisation /optimisation across the business and clients
• Develop and maintain resource demand base on pipeline of opportunities in collaboration with wider Atkins whilst supporting the relevant market team
• Work with the practice leadership teams to ensure skills and capacity meet client needs to match workload forecast.
• Responsible for winning work through maximising additional/repeat/follow-on work
• Leadership of and support to strategic bids into the client
• Proven experience operating in similar leadership position, managing within industry and public sector client organisations, delivering significant complex delivery programmes in a collaborative working environment
• Able to demonstrate performance driven behaviours, measurable results in large and multi-discipline environments in both complex delivery and transformational activities.
• Clear evidence of successful management of complexity
• Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
• Demonstration of clear consulting experience and client centric behaviours with strong communication skills to interface with clients, internal and external stakeholders.
• Strong collaborative behaviours to interface with client, contractors and other supply chain partners, and stakeholders.
• Strong demonstrable commercial acumen & negotiating skills typical required in dealing with £10m+ investments
• Developed professional network
• Be willing to travel across the UK as may be required, and for as long as may be required on major programmes.
• Degree level or equivalent professional qualification in relevant discipline.
• Previous experience of working in the Defence sector is desirable but not essential
• Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
• Flexible working options will be considered for this vacancy.
• Training- Atkins develops individuals through a tailored portfolio of training and development courses designed to help successful candidates make the best of their abilities and talents.
• Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.