We are seeking an experienced Consultant Programme Planner to join our P3M practice. We are looking for someone who really understands how to plan complex, technology and business change programmes. You will be proficient in advising clients on how best to plan and structure programmes, dissecting them into tangible, more manageable delivery chunks.
Combined with technical planning knowledge and experience, you will also possess first rate stakeholder management skills. The ability to manage clients, extract requirements and desired outcomes and incorporate them into plans so projects are set up for success is critical. Experience of using a range of planning tools and software is also a benefit, though the role requires much more than driving a piece of software – it’s to bring strategic advice and value to clients at every stage of a project.
The role could lead you to working across a variety of sectors and clients in Defence, Technology, Aerospace and Security for private and public clients. Likewise you could be deployed as a client side advisor, as a member of an existing team or as an embedded client side resource. Experience in one or more of these sectors - alongside being flexible and adaptable to meet contract needs – will be an advantage.
Working from within our P3M Practice, you will be given significant responsibility for client-facing work from day one. You are expected to have regular interactions with clients and to support senior colleagues in delivering specific project outputs.
As part of the Atkins team, you will be expected to make a contribution to Practice and business development. This may include being part of a bid team as well as developing new business propositions for existing clients or researching potential new markets, however your main focus will be delivering outstanding services to clients.
This position is based in the South-East, however travel may be required to work from other Atkins offices or client locations around the UK.
• Quickly understand and interpret client goals, vision and desired outcomes into deliverable planning concepts
• Advise on structure and content of programmes to maximise value, allowing project and programme teams to more efficiently and effectively manage and monitor programmes
• Develop and select the ‘best fit’ approach to planning a programme (e.g. selecting the right delivery method for each stage of a project – e.g. traditional/waterfall, Agile, hybrid etc)
• Manage and communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders at all levels within client, supply chain and Atkins organisations
• Strong change and stakeholder management skills within client, supply chain and Atkins organisations
• Balance client and Atkins processes, frameworks and standards to optimise delivery of services to client whilst protecting Atkins interests
• Analyse and incorporate risk information/mitigations and outputs from schedule risk analysis (SRA) into plans and schedules as appropriate
• Obtain buy-in from the whole project team and co-ordinate interfaces between different stakeholders
• Build and maintain relationships with Clients and stakeholders (internal, client and third party)
• Active stakeholder engagement and relationship management to extract information and analyse it as required to incorporate into plans
• Deliver consultancy based advice as well as being part of a project team ‘doing the doing’
• In addition to creating/managing schedules (either by self or with a Scheduler), collect from variety of client, Atkins and third party sources, inputs and updates to manage and maintain all aspects of Project plans, schedules and project controls requirements so there is a single-version-of-truth
• Advise and guide programme management team on any opportunities to optimise projects, programmes and/or schedules
• Advise the level of planning detail that is relevant to ensure effective programme and project control throughout the lifecycle of a programme
• Advise the Programme team and client on how best to manage cost within a programme schedule
• Provide insight into project data and metrics and communicate these effectively to stakeholders
• Identify areas of best practice / improvements for sharing and possible incorporation in the PM strategy, policies, procedures and plans.
• Deep understanding of project planning and delivery methodologies (traditional/waterfall, Agile etc)
• Experience in planning within a rolling wave approach
• Knowledge of schedule acceleration techniques, e.g. Fast Track, Crashing, Mainline-Offline Scheduling
• Ability to effectively manage cost within a schedule
• Knowledge of schedule risk analysis and ability to plan based on the SRA outputs
• Experience of using SRA tools such as Primavera Risk Analyser (PRA) or @Risk desirable
• Ability to plan and facilitate planning workshops involving stakeholders at all levels from senior management to operational
• Ability to “chunk up” and “chunk down” on level of detail (able to see the big picture and set an overarching strategy through to getting involved in the detail)
• Must be able to accurately define robust projects, programmes and schedules.
• Member of the APM and/or other professional qualifications
• Familiarity with Primavera, Microsoft Project and other planning tools
• Energy, enthusiasm, pride and determination in meeting targets and overcoming challenges and ability to work under own initiative
• Must have excellent people skills with the ability to break through social barriers to obtain relevant information necessary to plan accurately
• Experience of working as a PMO planner desirable
• Develop broad technical competence and able to quality assure work of all those in the project team
• Experience of managing interfaces with engineering and technical disciplines
• Experience in preparing, interpreting and responding to project performance analysis data, such as Earned Value Management information.
• Must demonstrate a detailed understanding of Project Controls Techniques including, budget and spend management, change control, Earned Value Management, data analysis, trend analysis and Work Package Management.
• Familiar with commercial and financial aspects of project management
- Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
- Flexible working options may be considered for this vacancy.
Atkins develops individuals through a tailored portfolio of training and development courses designed to help successful candidates make the best of their abilities and talents.
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.