Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2015’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations
We have built a high quality consulting team, delivering high quality work. We are now looking to expand our capability in Portfolio, Programme and Project Management. In order to develop this capability we are now looking for dynamic and motivated Project Managers with a track record in providing high quality advice and delivery to demanding clients in complex stakeholder environments. These roles are client facing, and may be in the form of solo engagements, or leading/operating as part of small or larger multidisciplinary teams.
The successful candidate will have been engaged in client-side delivery management for various aspects of the project delivery lifecycle. Whilst based from Atkins offices in central London, Epsom, Aldershot or Reading, the work location can be variable across London and the South-East, and the role may involve periods of time away depending upon client assignments.
- Deliver effective approaches to client requirements, calling for originality and ingenuity in devising recommendations and solutions
- Take key roles in project assignments, with responsibility for achieving client satisfaction, producing deliverables to expected quality and within commercial constraints and on occasions managing teams of consultants. Will often be embedded in the client’s delivery teams working directly with client staff and consultants from other organisations.
- Deliver high quality, innovative client solutions with the full support of the Atkins teams.
- Responsible for client relationships from initial contact to project completion.
- Responsible for financial management of project assignments.
- As well as technical delivery, individuals will be expected to support development of the capability through, for example, development of propositions and thought leadership. Additionally there will be a need to support development activities or contributing to proposal development.
- Contributes a broad range of management and programme/project management skills, with an in-depth knowledge of at least one relevant business sector
- You will have extensive experience gained in programme management or project management. Additionally, we are also looking for people with the experience and skills in developing business relationships at all levels, and leading teams to deliver great work.
- Candidates will have a proven track record in some or all of the following areas:
- Understanding and experience of the processes and tasks involved in successful delivery of complex projects particularly in a fast moving, operational environment.
- Delivery focussed with strong motivational skills, harbouring the ability to deliver high visibility projects on time, within scope and to budget.
- Experience at leading large, complex Projects or Portfolio of Projects on behalf of a client, often mentoring and leading client staff.
- An understanding and experience of delivering IT projects (inc Agile) through the typical development lifecycle– Requirements, Design, Build, Test and Implement would be advantageous, but not essential
- Proven experience and practical understanding of Portfolio and Programme delivery, with proven ability to deliver results within cost and time constraints and in time pressured and complex technical or intense stakeholder environments.
- Experience within client environments.
- Commercial skills with a proven understanding of contracts and finances. Working knowledge of financial processes and ability to report financial data would be advantageous.
- Proven experience of working with and managing third party suppliers - ability to manage a supply chain and deal within complex responsibility arrangements.
- Problem identification, report writing, recommending actions and building relationships with immediate contacts.
- Flexibility to adapt from providing advice on improving client’s delivery to “rolling up your sleeves” to assist clients in delivering their projects.
- Experience in influencing, communicating with, providing advice to, and collaborating with all levels of stakeholders.
- Degree level or equivalent professional qualification in relevant discipline.
- Recognised and certified qualifications in Programme/Project Management skills/methods (e.g. MSP, APMP, PMI, PRINCE2, MoR)
- An understanding of the role business analysis plays within IT project delivery is desirable
We are looking for insightful, professional people with a flair for generating innovative solutions. We are particularly looking for people with experience of working on large projects and programmes.
The right candidate:
- Will be an experienced project/delivery manager with consulting qualities.
- Have a strong delivery focus with a good track record of successfully delivering solutions within time, cost and quality constraints
- Does not accept things at face value but is analytical with problem solving skills.
- Strong communication skills to interface with clients, internal and external stakeholders.
- Be able to build good and lasting relationships with clients at all levels in a business environment
- Be able to gain client trust and identify opportunities for adding further value to the client relationship.
- Maintain a flexible attitude to working in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Is focussed on client outcomes and not put off by disappointment, having the ability to stand up to pressure from client stakeholders.
- Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
- Flexible working options may be considered for this vacancy.
Atkins develops individuals through a tailored portfolio of training and development courses designed to help successful candidates make the best of their abilities and talents.
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.