We are seeking an Engineer who thrives on making a strong personal contribution and who is enthusiastic to help make the organisation a little better every day. You will want to deliver – for the client, for the business and for yourself.
We need a personable C&I engineer who wants to solve and deliver design solutions to our clients. We have operations based in the UK, Europe, Middle East, Asia and North America, and are fully engaged on the development of all aspect of engineering in the energy sector. With opportunities in key regions around the world, Atkins can provide an exciting career.
We seek an experienced C&I engineer who loves to deliver on complex solo or multiple projects simultaneously to the highest quality. You’ll enjoy working closely with major clients on a range of demanding issues whilst mentoring graduate colleagues to preserve the high standards that we’re proud of. You will provide technical guidance and impart knowledge to other engineers within the team and mentor graduates. You will either be a chartered engineer yourself or close to applying, so you will be able to provide guidance for others to attain the professional status with the IET. You’ll enjoy working with others, sometimes directly at client sites, sometimes from our offices, and always seeking to be forward thinking and going the extra mile to help us maintain our excellent performance. You will be delivering robust solutions that will meet and exceed the Client’s requirements.
Does this sound like you? In which case, we’d love you to apply for this role.
Working within our Energy UK business you will be part of a team of C&I engineering professionals with several years of experience preferably in the power generation or Oil & Gas industry. The role will entail you assisting the E,C&I department lead with ongoing projects and future bid work, working closely with clients on a range of demanding issues whilst mentoring and training junior colleagues to meet the high standards we expect.
Other aspects of the role may include mentoring others in a technical capacity, assisting in the production of bids and proposals, and implementing and contributing to safety initiatives. We would expect you to be chartered or on your way to be, have a good relevant engineering degree or extensive relevant experience and be able to demonstrate sound technical EC&I knowledge and leadership experience.
Key Responsibilities for the role will include:
- C&I equipment specification, assessment and justification;
- Front End Engineering Design package generation;
- Supporting E,C&I project design team(s);
- Supporting multi-disciplinary bid teams;
- Project cost, time control and reporting;
- Liaison with clients, suppliers and contractors;
- Help develop in-house technical standards and specifications where necessary;
- Developing C&I capability and helping to grow the business.
You will enjoy approaching things in different ways to find the best possible fit – you like making improvements and consider different approaches, trying to find the best approach to fit whatever is the current context. As soon as you’re presented with a problem, you are focused on how to resolve it, whatever it might be.
You don’t just tackle these things alone. You like to engage with others, and especially enjoy working within a multidiscipline team environment. You enjoy explaining complex ideas, helping colleagues and clients to understand and progress the projects in a timely manner.
And overall, you get satisfaction from building relationships, with clients and with colleagues. You enjoy getting to know people, and working out how you can have a positive impact on them – whether that’s delivering something that a client needs, or helping someone to progress within the organisation.
In addition to having excellent communication and problem solving skills you will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Degree in Electrical Engineering (preferably Masters).
- Applying to be a Member of IET (or equivalent) and becoming a Chartered Engineer.
- Previous E, C&I engineering experience in the Power Generation industry is preferable or alternatively within a highly regulated/safety critical chemical or Oil & Gas environment.
- An enthusiastic and proficient engineer ideally with practical hands-on engineering experience.
- Demonstrate problem solving skills and be target focussed.
- Demonstrate good communication, presentation and interactive skills. Experience in a consultancy would be advantageous.
- Flexible in approach, willing to travel to work or be seconded to client sites and other duties as appropriate.
As part of our Energy business, our C&I team are engaged in a broad range of stimulating engineering projects and opportunities that exist across the board, from technical leadership to project management. With existing relationships with the major operators in the nuclear sectors, we offer a stimulating variety of work, within a team which is rapidly developing to meet the challenges of the energy businesses.
Based in Bellshill office, which currently has a 30 strong team, it forms part of our overall Energy business. This includes Conventional Power Generation, Nuclear Generation, Oil + Gas, Decentralised Energy, Renewables and Energy Storage. There are excellent longer term opportunities to move around as opportunities arise that might suit your strengths and aspirations.
- Travel to other Atkins company offices may be necessary.
- The role would be based in our Bellshill office, however our key Clients are based throughout the UK and it is expected that some secondments/site working at their sites will be acceptable to candidates. However, where required reimbursement of travel and accommodation costs will be provided.