Atkins is one of the largest engineering and design consultancies in the UK, the largest multidisciplinary consultancy in Europe and one of the largest design firms in the world. Our Water, Ground and Environment division within Infrastructure is one of the largest in the UK and with clients including high-profile utility companies, local authorities and independent businesses.
We are currently looking for a Control and Instrumentation Engineer with a broad-ranging background in the Water industry to join our Mechanical, Electrical and Process team in Warrington.
The role of the C&I engineer within the MEP business will involve the following responsibilities:
- Feasibility, outline and detailed control, instrumentation and electrical design work
- PLC, DCS and SCADA system specification and design
- Instrumentation systems specification and design
- Production of design documents and drawings, including:
- Control system architecture drawings
- User requirements specifications and functional design specifications
- Fieldbus network diagrams
- Cabling diagrams
- Loop diagrams
- Understanding, interpreting and responding to the needs of other engineering disciplines such as mechanical, process and civil.
- Design experience within the water industry sector or a related process industries
- Design of PLC/SCADA systems and DCS systems
- Control systems architecture and communication
- Design and implementation of fieldbus systems, e.g. Profibus, Modbus
- Specification and implementation of serial communication systems
- Standardisation of control strategy, alarm reporting and operator interfacing
- Specification and design of plant instrumentation
- Computer literate and able to work effectively work with Microsoft suite of programmes
- Degree or equivalent quaification in Eletrical/Electronic Engineering
- Chartered Engineer or working towards being Chartered
- Experience of working with WIMES specifications will be beneficial
- Experience of control strategies in areas such as potable water production, waste water treatment and multiple-pump systems.
- Knowledge of DSEAR/ATEX and the specific requirements related to control system I/O, including communication networks.
- Knowledge of functional safety in accordance with BS EN 61511 and 61508 and the impact of this on control system implementation and architecture.
- Knowledge of variable speed drive systems, including their interfacing and control.
- LV electrical design, including MCCs, distribution boards, cable systems etc.