We are seeking an Engineer who thrives on making a strong personal contribution and who is motivated to help make the organisation a little better every day. You want to deliver - for the client, for the business and for yourself.
We need a personable engineer who wants to solve and deliver earthing and lightning solutions to customers and who aspires to progress their technical career within the Energy sector. You’ll enjoy working with others, sometimes directly at client sites, sometimes from our offices, and always seeking to be forward thinking and going the extra mile to help us maintain our excellent performance.
Does this sound like you? In which case, we’d love you to apply for this role.The role
Working with our Networks business you will be part of a team of High Voltage Electrical Engineering Professionals. You must be happy to undertake technical work individually, or as part of a project team and to take responsibility for managing your own delivery to agreed timescales and budget. The role will entail document and drawing production and review for multiple projects, working closely with clients within their premises as well as remotely, managing your peers, developing opportunities and winning work. Enjoying technical work as well as interaction with people is key to your success. Regular travel to client premises for meetings and working is expected as part of the role.
Day-to-day activities will include;
- Full lifecycle of activities from requirements capture, through front end and detailed design, implementation oversight and support and testing and commissioning together with design substantiation.
- Projects including refurbishments of old ageing design and new design.
You’ll enjoy taking on a range of challenges, some technical, some wider business oriented; all of which help us to run a strong business. You’ll want to work with customers and with teams who deliver to their customers and you’ll be adaptable and happy to cope with uncertainty. As soon as you’re presented with a problem, you are focused on how to resolve it, whatever it might be. You will have an understanding of the full lifecycle of activities from requirements capture, through front end and detailed design, implementation oversight and support and testing and commissioning together with design substantiation.
You don’t just tackle these things alone. You enjoy discussing and agreeing how to solve complex issues with your colleagues. And overall, you get satisfaction from building relationships, with clients and with colleagues. You enjoy getting to know people, and working out how you can have a positive impact on them - whether delivering something for a client, or helping to win more work.
In addition to having excellent communication and problem solving skills you will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Electrical Engineering expertise, Degree qualified or equivalent and preferably a Chartered Engineer or working towards being a Chartered Engineer
- A significant amount of demonstrable experience working as an Earthing and Lightning Engineer
- A strong working knowledge of the SES CDEGS software package
- Good knowledge and experience in the different activities undertaken as part of a project lifecycle
- An appreciation of project and client management
- An understanding of the fundamental factors which contribute to business success.
The following would be highly desirable;
- Experience of onsite measurement of Electrical Resistivity and Earthing System Resistance
- A working knowledge of Furse StrikeRisk or equivalent and IEC 62305
- Commercial awareness and work winning skills / experience
As part of our Energy business, our Networks Team specialises in delivering high voltage engineering project to clients across industry. With existing relationships in Transmission and Distribution sectors, as well as the wider energy market, we bring technical know-how from across the design lifecycle to help solve our client’s problems. We see earthing and lightning growth area and based in Epsom as part of the Networks Team, we form part of a wider Energy business which gives us unrivalled access to significant players in all parts of the industry offering breadth of diversity and opportunity. Additional information
- This is an exciting time for Atkins, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our Energy sector in the UK. There will be opportunities for international travel and applicants with a desire for non-UK based assignments will be welcomed.
- Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career in engineering, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
- Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all of our engineers.
- Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package which includes the option to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year.