“We are a forward thinking business - continually looking to innovate, and never standing still.” Anthony, principal electrical engineer
As part of our our North MEP Practice, you’ll get the chance to put your own ideas and innovations into place on high profile projects, providing a full spectrum of environmental, mechanical and electrical engineering design and consultancy services regionally, nationally and globally.
Due to a continued workload we are looking to grow our team, and have exciting opportunities now for Engineers looking for the opportunity to develop their careers, be challenged and contribute to our growth and success.
The successful candidate will work alongside like-minded agile engineers and a multi-disciplined team. We are looking for an agile dynamic team worker, responsive, commercially astute able to communicate effectively, work on your own initiative and, on occasions, work from other Atkins offices or our Client’s offices. In return, we will actively fund and support career development and progression to professional status
- Produce Electrical building services engineering designs from concept design through to construction issue, in line with Atkins ethos and undertake site supervision of design projects
- Prepare feasibility studies
- Supervise work and design quality of subordinate engineers.
- Execute projects within defined design, programme and cost parameters
- Carrying out designs on a variety of buildings within different sectors i.e. schools, offices, leisure facilities, Public Authorities, Government buildings, industrial etc
- Prepare technical specifications, reports and drawings.
- Represent Atkins at meetings with clients and contractors.
- Site surveys, inspections and condition surveys where appropriate.
- Promote and incorporate sustainable design wherever possible.
- Participate in design quality reviews/audits as required.
- Maintaining records and archives to company standards
- Manage own workload and that of junior staff.
- Assist with processes for the development of staff in order to enhance the standards, expertise and reputation of Atkins.
- Promote and improve inter-discipline working with other disciplines such as Architecture, Civil and Structural.
- Monitor emerging legislation and engineering standards relating to mechanical building services and ensure their implementation.
- Input to the design change control process and estimate cost and /or time implications where so delegated.
- Cooperate with quality, safety and environmental objectives and contribute to the Atkins Property & Design commitment for continual improvement.
- Assist in the production of fee estimates and bids.
- Engage in wider business activity and promote innovation in ways that we deliver.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations
- Electrical Building Services engineer, degree qualified or can demonstrate equivalent knowledge through experience
- Member of a professional institution, CEng qualified preferred or working towards CEng
- Previous experience of a similar building services role and/or design consultancy is essential
- Experienced user of Microsoft Office
- Experience of using Hevacomp / IES calculation packages
- Experience of using AutoCAD and Revit
- Experience and understanding of delivering project to BIM level 2 using Revit applications
- Experience of working to QA procedures
- Excellent communication skills in written and spoken English, able to inspire, influence and negotiate
- In depth and up to date knowledge of Building Regulations and in particular Part L.
- A good understanding of quality assurance, safety and environmental sustainability
- Able to make decisions, act on own initiative and operate in a pro-active way
- A degree of financial awareness and the ability to develop this skill further
- Good ability to build up and maintain client and team relationships
- Effective team worker, contributing to the team and wider objectives
- Strong communication skills able to understand and express technical concepts clearly and accurately
- Excellent report writing skills, experience of making presentations and attending meetings with clients
- Organise and prioritise their own time and tasks to enable the simultaneous running of several projects
- Be able to logically analyse problems from first principles to determine solutions
- A good understanding of sustainability issues including passive design, low and zero carbon technologies
- Ability to mentor and offer leadership to junior members of the team.