Our Transportation division is seeking an experienced project manager/team leader to lead on the delivery of engineering services within our major Local Authority professional services contracts in the south of England. The role will involve heading up a team of engineers, graduates and technicians to develop solutions from concept to implementation, across a wide range of small, medium and large highway projects.
The successful candidate will be responsible for engaging with clients in both the delivery of projects and the development of future work as well as the mentoring and personal development of team members.
The role will be full time, working primarily between our offices and the clients’ offices in Winchester and Trowbridge. It will also involve travel to the Atkins’ Hub offices in London and the South West / South East where projects are being delivered from or support services undertaken.
- Leading a multi-disciplinary team to develop solutions on time and to budget.
- Providing pastoral care/general office housekeeping.
- Assigning work to and checking/reviewing the project teams work.
- Preparation and presentation of options and progress reports.
- Managing senior stakeholders to maintain and develop excellent professional relationships which can secure repeat business.
- Presenting to clients and key stakeholders in a professional, responsive and client focused manner.
- To work collaboratively across the Atkins Group.
- Client, programme and financial management of projects.
- Preparing fee offers for agreement by the client.
- Mentoring and supporting the development of the team.
- Expanding the business and assisting with the delivery of business targets.
- Extensive experience of working with local authorities as consultant or client.
- Robust knowledge & experience in the development & delivery of civil engineering & highway related projects.
- Demonstrable experience in project management.
- Sound working knowledge of current standards (MCDHW, DMRB), creating quality scheme documentation & critically reviewing colleagues’ work.
- Drainage design experience including working knowledge of Sewers for Adoption.
- Working knowledge of Manual for Streets 2, Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002, New Roads & Streetworks Act 1991 and Traffic Management Act 2004.
- Applied knowledge of quality, safety & environmental processes
- Ability to write project briefs, prepare project plans and calculate fee estimates.
- Experience of managing the supply chain.
- Experience of financial and budgetary processes.
- Ability to identify and respond to our clients’ values in a competitive market sector.
- Proven ability to keep control in pressed situations, deliver work within set timeframes and create a well-motivated team.
- Experience of demonstrating best value and innovation to clients.
- Ability to work flexibly between Atkins and client offices.
- Collaborative behaviours with both staff and client.
- Sound IT skills including working knowledge of ACAD, MX, MS Office suite.
- Experience in the delivery of major projects (c.£5m+).
- Working knowledge of CDM Regs, occupational health & safety, business systems management & road safety auditing duties.
- Experience of collaborative working with Contractors.
- Mentoring candidates wishing to gain professional status.
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- A hard working and flexible individual, who is a team player, is reliable, proactive and shows initiative whilst able to keep cool under pressure and when working to often demanding deadlines.
- Ability to build and motivate a team and demonstrate good leadership qualities.
- Self motivated and able to work both independently as well as within a larger multi-discipline team in leading and managing packages of work to completion, within budget and to programme.
- A high expectation of performance for themselves and other members of the team.
- Customer focused with excellent relationship management skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- A supportive and encouraging approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team.
- Ability to adapt to different cultures and working environments to build rapport with clients.
- Excellent commercial acumen.
- Holds a valid UK driving licence.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.