Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. We are looking to recruit an Environmental Consultant to join our team in Birmingham.
You will join a Practice of over 50 environmental assessment and management professionals located across the country, working to deliver an exciting range of high profile infrastructure projects including HS2, Crossrail, Thames Tideway Tunnel, SMART Motorways and East West Rail. Key clients in this region include Severn Trent Water, Highways England, St Modwen, as well as numerous Local Authorities and energy from waste clients. We pride ourselves on providing forward thinking practical and pragmatic solutions that deliver lasting value for our clients and their customers.
Based in our Environmental Assessment and Management Team you will work collaboratively with a range of technical specialists and will manage and coordinate EIAs, environmental assessments, and/or the development of environmental management plans for the design and construction phases of projects. This is an excellent opportunity for a graduate looking to develop a career in the consultancy sector.
The successful candidate will be educated to degree level in an environmental or scientific discipline and will have achieved, or be working towards, chartered status and / or full or associate membership of a recognised professional body. They will have a wide range of skill sets and a willingness to become involved in a broad selection of projects.
In particular the successful applicant will:
- Be skilled at working collaboratively with a range of technical specialists.
- Have good interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate issues and ideas effectively.
- Have strong report writing, verbal and presentation skills.
- Be thorough and disciplined, with excellent time management skills.
- Be able to prioritise and work effectively under pressure.
- Have good attention to detail, with strong problem-solving and data interpretation skills.
- Be flexible, adaptable and prepared to take on new challenges and work from other Atkins or client office locations
- Have experience of UK environmental legislation, Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and planning processes and a broad understanding of the technical specialisms required for EIA.
- Have an interest and understanding of environmental and broader sustainability issues
- Highly motivated and conscientious, with good entrepreneurial behaviours.
- Coordinate environmental work being undertaken by multi-disciplinary teams, for EIA, options appraisals and/or environmental management plans.
- Check, summarise and present information in a clear and concise way understandable to non-specialists, both verbally and in written format.
- Work as part of a project team to influence project development in order to deliver optimal environmental outcomes.
- Collate and edit information from a range of sources to provide clear, well written reports.
- Document control and management on major projects.
- An interest in developing your technical skills with a view to becoming a member of a relevant professional institute.
- To competently undertake own work to an excellent standard; on time and to budget.
- Represent the company and continue to build personal and company reputation.
- Support on bid preparation and business development as required.
- Undertake Continual Professional Development in accordance with requirements of chosen professional institute and work towards becoming chartered.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions such as IEMA, RTPI, LI, ICE, CIEEM, and CIWEM.