The Contaminated Land and Hydrogeology (CLAH) Practice within Atkins is a well-established, multi-disciplinary, environmental and engineering practice with a highly skilled team; notably with staff winning Best Young Brownfield Professional at the Brownfield Briefing Awards for the last three consecutive years. Our extensive portfolio of regeneration and development projects include local, national, and occasional international projects across a range of exciting markets, including the development of Cities, Transportation and Energy Infrastructure.
We have considerable nationwide brownfield land regeneration experience working with developer, private and public sector clients in the investigation, assessment, remediation and redevelopment of brownfield land, and are seeing excellent growth in our contaminated land business across the UK following successful framework and non-framework wins. As a result, we currently have opportunities for Environmental Consultants / Engineers to join our growing team in our Birmingham office and support our expanding project workload and client base.
We are looking for highly motivated individuals with proven experience of on-site management and co-ordination of ground investigations, as well as experience in the delivery of qualitative and semi-quantitative risk assessments for contaminated land. The candidates must be capable of delivering the high standard of geo-environmental consultancy services for which Atkins is renowned.
- Organisation, collation and assessment of desk-based information as part of Phase 1 Desk Studies.
- Developing conceptual site models and carrying out qualitative and semi-quantitative risk assessments for human health, controlled waters and property receptors under guidance.
- Assisting in design of Phase 2 site investigations and preparation of commercial offers.
Organising and leading Phase 2 site investigation and monitoring works, including contractor supervision, soil logging, soil sampling and ground gas, vapour, groundwater and surface water monitoring/sampling.
- Management of own work, including technical reporting and programme delivery. Data management and sample scheduling.
- Supervision of contractors on earthworks, remediation, materials management projects, etc.
- Supporting senior management with bid preparation and project management to ensure projects are to delivered on-time, on budget and to quality and client expectations.
- Degree qualified in a relevant engineering or science subject (e.g. geology, geotechnics, hydrogeology, chemistry, environmental science) with 2.1 achievement or better.
- Masters qualified in a relevant specialism preferred but not essential.
- Actively working towards Chartership with a relevant professional body.
- Demonstrate good, relevant land contamination/brownfield land experience in Phase 1 Desk Studies and Phase 2 Site Investigations.
- Experience of supervising intrusive ground investigations using a range of site investigation techniques.
- Experience of technical report writing and be able to draft technical reports under guidance to an acceptable technical quality.
- Knowledge and understanding of conceptual site models and the qualitative/semi-quantitative risk assessment process for controlled waters, human health and property receptors.
- Familiarity with relevant codes of practice and industry standards, and broad understanding of environmental legislation.
- Full UK driving licence.
- Experience of intrusive investigation and assessment of gasworks, electrical and gas transmission sites or nuclear sites.
- Relevant H&S training, e.g. CSCS, CITB Site Supervisors Safety Training Scheme, HSG47, SHEA Gas and SCO 1& 2, Persons & BESC.
This opportunity is focussed on our Epsom and London teams, however, other locations may be considered.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. Atkins recognises a range of career development paths and supports individuals to navigate through and across these providing opportunities that meet the most ambitious of aspirations. We offer a certified training Academy to develop staff to achieve Chartership within their chosen technical career and a professionals programme to ensure senior staff continue to develop their expertise. Staff development objectives are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process, the outcome of which is a tailored and personal development plan for each member of our team.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package