Atkins is one of the worlds leading Engineering and Design Consultancies. We have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical infrastructure projects.
The Environment & Urban Design Practice within Atkins is a well-established multi-disciplinary environmental and engineering consultancy with an extensive portfolio of regeneration and development projects. We are seeing excellent growth in our contaminated land business across the UK following successful framework and non-framework wins for multi-national private and public sector clients.
We currently have an opportunity for an Environmental Consultant to join the Contaminated Land and Hydrogeology team in Bristol. The work involves UK and International projects being delivered by Atkins across a range of exciting market sectors, including the development of Cities, Mass Transit and Energy infrastructure.
We are looking for an individual with proven experience in site investigation and qualitative / semi-quantitative risk assessment relating to land contamination and brownfield regeneration, to join our reputable Environment team and support an expanding project workload and client base.
- Organisation, collation and assessment of desk-based information as part of Phase 1 Desk Studies.
- Assisting in designing or able to design environmental/geoenvironmental site investigations, including soil sampling and ground gas/vapour/leachate/groundwater and surface water monitoring/sampling.
- Organising environmental/geoenvironmental site investigation and monitoring, including contractor supervision, soil sampling and ground gas/vapour/leachate/groundwater and surface water monitoring/sampling and/or supervising or supporting others in contractor management, liaison and supervision.
- Compliance with Health and Safety Policies and Procedures, including preparation of
- H&S Plans for site investigation and managing health and safety on site.
- Preparing Method Statements, Specifications and Drawings.
- Data Management and sample scheduling.
- Developing conceptual site models and carrying out qualitative and semi--quantitative risk assessments for human health, controlled waters and property receptors under guidance.
- Factual and Interpretative Reporting.
- Scheduling and managing own work to acceptable quality, on time and to budget.
- Working with the local and wider Atkins team in advancing local and national projects
- Developing own competence and maintain CPD necessary to fulfil the responsibilities of the role, with support from the business on own training and development needs
- Degree qualified in a relevant engineering or science subject (e.g. geology, geotechnics, hydrogeology, chemistry, environmental science) with 2.1 achievement or better.
- Masters qualified in a relevant specialism preferred but not essential.
- Be actively working toward chartership with a relevant professional body.
- Demonstrate good, relevant land contamination/brownfield land experience in Phase 1 Desk Studies and Phase 2 Site Investigations, with experience of supervising a range of site investigation techniques.
- Confident in field-based work, including the need to carry out lone working;
- Knowledge and technical understanding of conceptual site models and generic level risk assessments for controlled waters and human health;
- Able to produce factual and interpretative reports including generic qualitative/ quantitative risk assessment for controlled waters, human health and property receptors.
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant codes of practice and industry standards and have broad understanding of environmental legislation.
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout the UK and work on short term assignments overseas.
Full UK driving licence.
- Experience of working on former coal gasification or high voltage electricity transmission sites;
- Experience of working under NEC3 contracts, or similar would be advantageous;
- Experience in the supervision of remediation works.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package