If you are a fault studies engineer with strong experience within the nuclear industry, and love the idea of joining our growing nuclear safety analysis discipline, then we are all waiting for you to join our team. You’ll enjoy liaising with clients, assessing plant performance and have excellent technical report writing skills.
If this sounds like you, then we’d love you to apply for this role.
As part of our Deterministic Safety Analysis (DSA) team you’ll be working on consultancy projects in the area of nuclear safety analysis, requiring client liaison, definition of requirements, technical delivery, and writing of high quality technical reports.
You’ll discuss with the client reactor systems and plant scenarios and will build computer models in order to assess the performance of the plant in design basis and beyond design basis fault conditions. This role also includes supporting clients in managing the expectations of internal and external stakeholders and regulators.
You’ll be able to contribute and learn from the wider nuclear safety community within Atkins, taking advantage of the UK leading services we provide in areas such as safety case, hazard analysis, computational fluid dynamics and structural engineering.
You will have strong attention to detail and outstanding analytical skills. You will also be able to work autonomously or as part of a project team, and have a relevant engineering/science degree. You will either be a chartered engineer or will be working towards this.
In addition to having a solid understanding of the principles of fluid dynamics and heat transfer, you will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Experience working with nuclear safety analysis codes such us MAAP, GOTHIC, TRACE or RELAP5. Experience acquired in an academic environment would be acceptable
- Basic knowledge to work with UNIX/LINUX computer systems
- Excellent technical writing skills
You may also be able to demonstrate the below desirable requirements:
- Proven capability in technically delivering engineering projects
- An understanding of the nuclear regulatory principles in the UK
- Ability to write scripts in Matlab, Python or other languages
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2015’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations
Our Energy business has been operating for over four decades. You’ll be helping us to design complex new schemes, assure the longevity and integrity of existing infrastructure and deliver innovative consultancy advice to core clients, critical to the success of the global energy market.
The Nuclear Safety Analysis Discipline comprises two teams providing services to the generation, new build and decommissioning markets. The Probabilistic Safety Assessment (PSA) team delivers work in the areas of probabilistic safety analysis, equipment reliability and probabilistic consequence analysis. The Deterministic Safety Analysis (DSA) team delivers work in the areas of thermal hydraulics, design basis and severe accident analysis.
Benefits and Additional Information
- Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
- Flexible working options will be considered for this vacancy.
- Travel to other company sites may be necessary.
- Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.