Atkins is one of the world’s leading engineering and design consultancies. It is a FTSE 250 Company with a revenue of approx £1.4bn. It employs approximately 17,000 employees globally, of which circa 10,000 are UK based.
This position is part of the Shared Services Facility's(SSF) Accounting team (which comprises 17 members, including four other Financial Controllers).
The role encompasses a range of payroll, tax and general accounting activities and includes managing a team of five staff (All AAT qualified or equivalent)
Responsible to: Head of Accounting
- Other members of the SSF’s Accounting department.
- Other departments within the SSF, mainly Payroll, Group Tax and HR
- The broader Atkins finance community.
- Dealing with accounting payroll queries, e.g. coding for new payroll elements or new HR initiatives.
- Management of the SSF’s Payroll accounting general ledger codes and ensuring deductions are paid in accordance with agreed timescales.
- Managing the annual P11d and PSA processes (over 3,000 P11ds are issued).
- Annual review of elements within the SCR (staff charge out rates).
- Managing the centralised agency control reconciliation for over 800 agency staff.
- Effective management of five members of staff.
- Budgeting and forecasting of payroll accounting balances and payroll related cash flows.
- Performance appraisals/ reviews/ coaching of direct reports.
- Ad hoc projects covering various functions within Atkins, including HR and Group Tax initiatives.
Technical and Professional Experience
- An accounting qualification (ACA, CIMA, ACCA or equivalent) plus demonstrable post qualification experience.
- Intermediate level Microsoft Excel skills, including use of pivot tables, lookups and other functions.
- Experience of managing people, including coaching and developing staff.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Able to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Effective communication skills; able to engage with and influence staff at all levels.
- Well organised – skilled in prioritising own workload and that of the team.
- Able to mix effective team management with ‘hands on’ involvement and ad hoc projects.