We have a great opportunity in our Birmingham office for an ambitious Geotechnical Engineer to join our experienced team to help deliver a range of projects primarily in the infrastructure sector (roads, rail, water and commercial / industrial development) - including work on major projects such as HS2.
As one of the UK’s leading Geotechnical consultancies Atkins offers a comprehensive service in Ground Technology. With more than 300 professionals, Atkins’ geotechnical reputation is built on the skills, excellence and commitment of our people in all aspects of geotechnical engineering. Atkins has an impressive current portfolio of prestigious geotechnical projects in the UK and internationally.
This is a great opportunity for a Geotechnical Engineer looking to further develop their career with an industry leading geotechnical team who have an ethos of developing its staff to their full potential through a comprehensive training and development programme.
The successful applicant will have a degree in civil engineering or geology preferably with a post graduate qualification in a geotechnical subject.
- A strong academic background with a relevant degree (ideally MSc or equivalent)
- Proven experience of acting as a geotechnical engineer in a fast-moving engineering consultancy environment
- A capable geotechnical engineer with desk study and ground engineering experience, and proven design ability.
- Member of an appropriate professional organisation and be at or working towards becoming chartered
- Excellent interpersonal and technical skills
- Excellent communication skills and confidence to liaise with clients
- Excellent report writing skills with the ability to self-check and produce accurate work
- A flair for innovation
- A willingness to travel on assignments both within the UK and overseas
The learning and development experience in our Ground Engineering team is different to that at most other companies. Here we thoroughly recognise the importance of our people and we invest for the long term to provide them with the technical, commercial and managerial expertise they need throughout their career. At Atkins our staff continue to learn and develop irrespective of position or experience.
Our investment includes our acclaimed technical conferences, regular presentations and discussion groups, field trips, bespoke training courses as well as active on the job mentoring. We also have our Ground Engineering Academy to provide structured support and encouragement to staff in their progression to chartership. Fulfilling learning and development experiences include the opportunity for international assignments in a variety of countries.
We welcome the opportunity to discuss a flexible working pattern for this vacancy. For roles advertised under the category of flexible working we would encourage you to explore the flexible working options we are able to offer during the interview process.