Atkins Transportation is our centre of excellence for the design of highway infrastructure projects. We aim to be the first choice designer for local and national highway authorities, contractors and developers. We are working on a number of professional services consultancy frameworks, including the CDF for Highways England, the West Midlands Highways Alliance and HS2.
To meet our growth aspirations we are seeking several high calibre Group Engineers / Project Managers to lead multi-disciplinary teams of engineers, environmental and other specialists to develop solutions from concept to detailed design, specification and construction on an expanding portfolio of the biggest and most challenging UK projects.
• Leading a multi-discipline team to develop high quality solutions on time and budget.
• Assigning work to and checking / reviewing the project team’s work.
• Preparation and presentation of technical and progress reports.
• Managing stakeholders.
• To maintain and develop excellent professional relationships which can secure repeat business.
• Presenting to clients and key stakeholders in a professional, responsive and client focused manner.
• To work collaboratively across the Atkins Group.
• Client, programme and financial management of projects.
• Preparing fee offers for agreement with the client.
• Mentoring and supporting the development of the team.
• Expanding the Atkins business and assisting with the delivery of business targets.
• Line management of junior staff.
• Appropriate academic and professional qualifications, including Chartered or Incorporated Engineer and Member of a relevant Professional Institution with solid experience in Highway and Traffic Engineering.
• Demonstrable experience of working with our key clients, e.g. local authorities, Highways England, developers and major contractors.
• In depth knowledge and experience of delivering high quality highway and traffic design.
• Ability to prepare bids, draft and negotiate consultancy contracts.
• Ability to find solutions to complex organisational problems.
• Experience of planning and statutory processes.
• Ability to research information and data independently and ability to resolve contractual issues.
• Ability to identify and respond to our clients values in a competitive market sector.
• Proven ability to manage projects including preparing programmes, deliverables schedules and managing risk with a fee income exceeding £50K per month.
• Proven ability to keep control in pressurised situations, deliver work to the required quality within set timeframes and create a well-motivated team
• Commercially astute and an excellent communicator with the desire to take on extra management responsibilities and keep on developing your skills and our team
• Knowledge of project governance and processes for Highways England and Local Authorities
• Prince2 Practitioner and/or APM qualified, Level C or above.
• Experience of project scheduling, including resourcing, using Primavera or Microsoft Project.
• Experienced design manager of D&B Commissions.
• Experienced manager of overseas projects.
• Experience of monitoring construction contracts and of site management.
• Experience of business process improvement techniques, for example, Lean Construction.
• Experience of 3D design software (MX, Civils 3D).
• Experience of giving evidence at Public Inquiries.
• Line management experience.
• Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills both verbally and in writing.
• A hard working and flexible person, who is a team player, possesses great attention to detail, is reliable, proactive and shows initiative whilst able to keep cool under pressure and when working to often demanding deadlines.
• Ability to build and motivate a team and demonstrate good leadership qualities.
• Self-motivated and able to work independently as well as within a larger multi-discipline team in running and managing packages of work to completion, within budget and to programme.
• A high expectation of performance for themselves and other members of the team.
• Customer focused with excellent relationship management skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
• A supportive and encouraging approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team.
• Ability to adapt to different cultures and working environments to build rapport with clients.
• Worked for both private and public sector clients and appreciates the different drivers and approach to management and procurement.
• Be available to travel across the UK and work away from home, including periods overseas on assignments.
• Atkins is a truly global organisation and our strategy means much of our multi-disciplinary work spans various regions around the world. We especially welcome applications from those who are able to travel and spend extended periods of time abroad.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.