· Relevant first degree or equivalent qualification with preference for a transport related post graduate qualification and Professional membership to a relevant body.
· Deep understanding and experience of the airports and aviation sector at senior level around the world. Experience in Asia would be a strong advantage.
· Credibility to work effectively and sensitively at senior levels in the industry and to engage constructively across Atkins.
· Demonstrate an understanding of the key drivers of Airport Planning and Development, specifically the interactions between aviation and airport operations, people and baggage movement, development, design concept, retail, advertising, and transport modes that serve the ‘front door’.
· Broad technical planning background that extends beyond purely airport planning, covering policy, strategic planning, modelling and business case assessments. A thorough understanding of the nature of technical and business services provided to the sector is essential.
· Proven track record in coordinating and delivering technically excellent studies and projects on time and to budget.
· A track record in developing client relationships and winning new consultancy work.
· Experience of dealing with large stakeholder forums and press/media an advantage.
· Demonstrated experience of :
- Leadership of master planning studies at a least one major hub airport (ideally as project director / project manager)
- Leading the development of a wider portfolio of master planning studies across a range of airports (scale / complexity / geography)
· Sound knowledge of:
- Airspace planning and its interface with airport operations and development
- International codes and standards applicable to aviation – including
- Environmental impacts of aviation including noise, air quality and carbon assessment
- Regulation and its impact on airports – desirable
- Airport ownership transactions
- Surface access and landside issues
· A proven project management capability including financial management and business acumen.
· Recognition that international work brings international travel, and a willingness to undertake commissions overseas.
· To act as Project Director on airport development consultancy projects. This will entail assuming overall technical, project team and financial accountability for projects, including direct liaison with internal and external clients.
· As part of the aviation senior management team lead business development activities including seeking out and pursuing new consultancy and major project opportunities by developing and maintaining contacts within the aviation industry and other client organisations.
· To provide technical leadership for a team of airport planning consultants and to assist in their professional and technical development.
· To support other transport planning studies, particularly multi-modal studies, by providing advice on airports and aviation planning issues within Atkins.
· To lead and contribute to tender submissions for major airport multi-disciplinary projects across all of Atkins.
· To raise Atkins’ profile through targeted events, the preparation and presentation of conference papers, attendance at conferences/seminars and representing Atkins on industry bodies.
· To work within, and contribute to, the ongoing development and delivery of the Aviation market plan across Atkins.
· Report quarterly on progress and performance, and present to management forums as required.