Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years. Globally, Atkins is the largest UK-based engineering and design consultancy and one of the world's largest design firm with nearly 18,000 employees worldwide. We have the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
At Atkins, we offer our employees more than just a job; we offer an opportunity to shape the world for generations to come through innovative and sound design. As the official engineer of the 2012 London Olympics, few companies can rival the size and diversity of our projects. Whether it’s the concept for a new skyscraper, the upgrade of a rail network, the modeling of a flood defense system or the improvement of a management process, we plan, design and enable solutions.
Atkins seeks an energetic, highly motivated, detail-oriented, self-starter to join our Houston, TX staff as a Highway Design Group Manager to manage staff in Houston and other nearby regional offices. This professional will supervise the staff and work production of a technical work unit. Provides leadership, direction and technical guidance to staff to ensure that quality technical services are provided to clients and that the technical work unit meets its operating performance targets. Manages project production, project acquisition/client relations, and financial management of the work unit to ensure quality, client satisfaction, continued production backlog, and profitability of all projects within the work unit. Typically responsible for annual revenues over $2M and over 15 staff.
- Staff Administration: With Technical Director, BU Managers and Project Managers, identifies current and future staffing availability based on technical and budgetary requirements of future workload and manpower projections.
- Recommends salary levels for new hires and initiates salary and position adjustment actions for staff, subject to senior management review and approval. Conducts semi-annual performance reviews and annual career planning sessions with direct reports.
- Provides staff with ongoing performance feedback and counsel to promote improved performance and career development.
- Helps staff identify and pursue technical and professional development activities consistent with their career development goals and work unit objectives/company needs.
- Ensures staff compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Project Production and Management: Ensure appropriate staff allocation to projects in consideration of project schedules, budgets, key milestone dates and work products.
- Monitors and enforces compliance with established quality control standards, ensuring that appropriate quality assurance activities are being performed throughout the operating unit.
- Reviews project QC plans and periodic QA compliance audits on current or recently completed projects.
- Assists staff in resolving problems concerning work with the various business units.
- Technical Excellence: Maintains visibility and professional currency by actively participating in professional and civic organizations and encourages staff to do the same.
- Works with Practice and Technical Directors to design and implement development tracks for technical staff, with a focus on building technical excellence at all levels of the organization.
- Marketing and Client Maintenance: May participate in pursuing new project opportunities for firm by maintaining contacts with current and prospective clients.
- Contracts and Financial: May assist sales leads and project managers to staff new pursuits and contract negotiations. Approves purchase requests for capital items as specified in the Authorization Matrix.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
COMPLEXITY (Variety or uniqueness of tasks; relative difficulty or importance of work performed; size of unit supported, etc.):
Manages project production within a technical practice center. Typically responsible for annual revenues over $2M and over 15 staff.
DECISION-MAKING (Supervision received; independent judgment or initiative; consequence of error):
Works independently under general direction. Makes approval decisions as specified in the Authorization Matrix. Accountable for quality, client satisfaction, continued production backlog, and project profitability for the work unit.
WORK DIRECTION GIVEN TO OTHERS (Titles and number of personnel; type of direction given):
Typically directly supervises project managers, technical professional, and assigned technical and administrative support staff. Responsible for performance management and career development of direct reports.
INTERNAL CONTACTS (Required interaction/relationship with others within the organization):
Interfaces with senior technical professionals, technical managers, and administrative staff and managers throughout company.
EXTERNAL CONTACTS (Required interaction/relationship with others outside the organization):
Represents the organization to clients, regulatory agencies and subconsultants. Maintains contacts with clients and prospective clients.
- P.E. license is required.
- Minimum of 15-20 years of experience, with at least three of these years in a senior operating management position.
- Experience developing and leading direct reports.
- Extensive knowledge of the Houston Area transportation market and client base.
- TxDOT relationships and project experience necessary.
- Excellent technical and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to manage individuals and teams, provide leadership, and manage project production.
- Must have business vision, excellent communication skills, and be able to represent the firm effectively to clients, key public officials, and the community in general.
- Bachelor's degree in field of practice. Post graduate degree preferred. Management coursework and/or MBA a plus.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Atkins is a drug free workplace.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement.