We are looking for Highway Engineers with broad ranging experience in highway design to join our Civil Engineering Practice in Chelmsford.
You will be responsible for designing elements of significant highway infrastructure projects with values of up to £70million, delivering to the highest technical standards and quality targets. You will be a competent designer with proven ability who takes ownership and responsibility for design solutions.
Our current workload includes a number of significant projects in London and across southern England including:
- Improvements and maintenance associated with the 440km of motorway that comprise the M25 and its key arterial links serving central London
- A growing portfolio of schemes for Transport for London considering strategic junctions and key infrastructure projects
- Multiple schemes on the strategic road network as part of the core delivery team for the Highway Agency’s Road Investment Strategy
- Projects of all sizes and stages of development from concept to construction.
You will be responsible to the Project Manager for providing robust technical solutions that meet Client ambitions and exceed their expectations.
This role will be based in our recently refurbished office in Chelmsford. Chelmsford is in the county of Essex and is one of the newest cities in the UK with substantial investment being made in housing and retail. It is just 30 miles from London with excellent rail and road links to the capital. It is a city rich in heritage offering first class shopping, wining and dining, as well as beautiful parks, excellent leisure facilities and a vibrant nightlife.
- Incorporated or Chartered Engineer (or proven ability to work at the level expected of an experienced Incorporated Engineer)
- Foundation Degree or HND in Civil Engineering
- BEng or MEng would be an advantage
- Competence and experience in all elements of highway design with proficiency in either alignment of highway drainage design.
- A thorough understanding of the appropriate elements of the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges with experience in identifying and seeking approvals for departures in standards
- Knowledge and understanding of the component parts of a project with a track record of successfully delivering technically robust projects from minor works to major infrastructure improvements
- Proven ability in practical detailing for elements of a highway engineering projects using appropriate standards and engineering judgement
- Experience of preparing detailed Specifications and Contract Documents
- Proven ability to coach and develop less experienced team members
- Excellent standard of written English in the preparation of technical reports and specifications
- Expertise and experience in all aspects of highway drainage design including flood storage and environmental considerations
- Assisting with the bidding for new work including fee estimates, delivery programmes and inputting to quality submissions
- A willingness to work flexibly to deliver projects to time and budget
- Supporting Project Managers in designing schemes for both the public and private sectors;
- Preparing scheme drawings, from feasibility design through to detailed design;
- Utilising 3-D design packages, ideally including MX, AutoDesk Civils 3D and Microdrainage (or similar);
- Preparing works packages - bill of quantities, specifications and construction drawings;
- Assigning work to and checking/reviewing the project teams work;
- Working alongside traffic modellers and other specialists to refine designs, optimising arrangements for different users and uses;
- Supervising construction work;
- Preparation and presentation of project reports;
- Evaluating engineering problems, consulting senior staff as necessary;
- Ensuring tasks are carried out within agreed timescales and budgets;
- Working with other highway engineers, geotechnical engineers, landscape architects and clients as required on technical aspects of projects;
- Working collaboratively across the Atkins Group;
- Mentoring and supporting the development of the team;
- Keeping up-to-date with current methods and design guidelines;
- Compliance with Quality, Safety, Environment and managerial procedures.
- Solving engineering problems
- Developing works cost estimates,
- Checking and reviewing the work of others
- Well-developed interpersonal and organisational skills
- Ability to use your initiative, have a desire to improve technical capabilities and highly numerate;
- Innovative in bringing high quality technical solutions to engineering problems
- Good communicator
- Good organisational and prioritisation skills
- Ability to focus and deliver whilst working to short time scales and budget constraints
- A desire to develop and mentor individuals and contribute to the capability of the business
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.