We are looking for dynamic, charismatic Senior Highway Engineers with broad ranging experience and a high level of technical competence in highway design to join our Civil Engineering Practice in Chelmsford.
You will be a role model for aspiring engineers and technicians, designing works with values up to £50million, ensuring that they are delivered to the highest technical standards and quality targets.
Our current workload includes a number of significant projects in London and across southern England including:
- A multi-million pound portfolio of infrastructure projects as part of the Science Value UK initiative being delivered by Oxfordshire County Council as they create a global hot spot for enterprise and innovation in Science and Technology
- Improvements and maintenance associated with the 440km of motorway that comprise the M25 and its key arterial links serving central London as part of the delivery Team to Connect Plus as they manage and improve the capitals orbital network during their 30 year remit
- A growing portfolio of schemes for Transport for London considering strategic junctions and key infrastructure including the new tunnel under the River Thames linking the Greenwich Peninsula to Silvertown
- Multiple schemes on the strategic road network as part of the core delivery team for the Highway Agency’s Road Investment Strategy
You will be accountable to the Group Technical Manager and will be expected to advise Clients and other team members with regards to the optimum technical solutions.
This role will be based in our Chelmsford office in Essex.
- Incorporated or Chartered Engineer (or proven ability to work at the level expected of an experienced Incorporated Engineer)
- Foundation Degree or HND in Civil Engineering
- BEng or MEng would be an advantage
- Expertise and experience in all aspects of highway alignment design including links and all types of junctions
- A thorough comprehension of the technical standards relating to highways design with experience in identifying and seeking approvals for departures in standards
- Knowledge and appreciation of the component parts of a project with a track record of successfully delivering technically robust projects of varying values
- Expertise in standard detailing for the elements of a highway engineering project including, but not limited to those in the HCD
- Experience of client interface in conjunction with other senior staff
- Proven ability to advise clients on technical matters
- Proven ability to coach and develop team members including planning, monitoring and control
- A willingness to work flexibly to deliver projects to time and budget
- Expertise and experience in all aspects of highway drainage design including flood storage and environmental considerations
- Assisting with the bidding for new work including fee estimates, delivery programmes and inputting to quality submissions
- Providing technical assistance on highway infrastructure projects from an up to date knowledge of highway engineering and the process and techniques involved in highway design and scheme development
- Assisting the Project Managers on technical aspects of designs from project initiation through to completion
- Mentoring and coaching team members and taking responsibility for the technical development of staff
- Liaising with Clients, determining their drivers and delighting them with our service delivery
- Solving engineering problems
- Developing works cost estimates,
- Checking and reviewing the work of others
- Using highways design, drainage and other software packages to deliver technically robust designs.
- Well developed interpersonal skills
- Innovative in bringing high quality technical solutions to engineering problems
- Good communicator
- Good organisational and prioritisation skills
- Ability to focus and deliver whilst working to short time scales and budget constraints
- A desire to develop and mentor individuals and contribute to the capability of the business
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.