Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies and in 2015 was voted as a Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work for.
Our Infrastructure business has been successful in securing a number of multi-million pound design frameworks within the UK Water Industry over the next five years and beyond.
We are looking for a fluid mechanics specialist to join the Hydraulics team in Warrington and work on one of these local frameworks.
The team undertake hydraulic analysis and design of water/wastewater treatment plants and transfer pipelines for a variety of UK and International Clients. The team also provide specialist hydraulic advice and input into other industry sectors.
Travel to and working from other Atkins offices and Client offices may occasionally be required. There may also be the opportunity of travel overseas.
Main Technical responsibilities will be:
- To produce robust, reliable, innovative and cost effective hydraulic designs
- Preparation of design reports detailing calculations/analysis undertaken and key findings
- Preparation of manhour estimates/budgets for design activities
- To ensure that activities undertaken are in accordance with H&S Legislation and Accepted Industry Practices.
- To ensure that all outputs are in accordance with the QA system, i.e. checked and verified calculations, drawings, reports and specifications
· Possess demonstrable experience of fluid mechanics design in the Water Industry
· Have or be nearing Chartered status
- Solid working knowledge of hydraulic design and experience of the interfaces with other disciplines, e.g. Process, Civil, Mechanical and Electrical
- Competent in free surface flow design
- Good communication and analytical skills
- Ability to write clear, accurate and concise engineering reports and specifications
- Able to articulate concepts and ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Able to communicate effectively in English (both orally and written)
- Knowledge and experience of design and build projects
- Competent in surge analysis and the use of packages such as WANDA/VARISIM/Flowmaster
- Civil design experience
- Familiarity with process design for both water and wastewater treatment
- Able to undertake and report on the hydraulic assessment of existing assets
- Knowledge of the regulatory environment, operational environment and whole life cost implications of proposed designs
Atkins has been named as one of the Times Top 50 Employers for Women for 2015. The listing recognises Atkins as an organisation that is committed to making the most of the women in our workforce.