**The closing date for this vacancy is Tuesday 7th February 2017**
Please note that the salary banding for this role is between £30,000 and £40,000 depending on experience.
We are currently seeking a ITS Design Engineer in our Birmingham office.
Our key partners, Highways England, Network Rail and Transport for London (TfL) have large investment programmes so our work is varied, challenging and interesting as we lead the way in delivering innovative technology solutions. Our key work includes:
• M25, M1, M6, M60, M4 Smart Motorways: Designing and supervising the construction of the systems that allow the hard shoulder to be used as running lane through the use of CCTV, Radar, Lane signals, LED message signs and enforcement.
• A14 Designing the systems that will make the A14 the safest and greenest trunk road in the England.
• Silvertown Tunnel.
• A1 & A19 Technology Upgrade. Upgrade 135km of network to the latest monitoring, messages sign and high speed IP networks to improve safety and reduce journey times.
Join us in intelligent transport systems
and you’ll use the latest technologies to transform millions of road and rail journeys. You’ll deliver the technology systems that will optimise tomorrow’s transport infrastructure. Behind small steps and giant leaps, we drive innovative projects from traffic signals and smart motorways to control centres and real-time passenger information. And we advise on everything from design to purchasing to support. So, you can look forward to plenty of variety from testing systems on site to exploring next generation software and developing connected vehicles.
• Degree or equivalent with relevant professional registration or potential to apply
• Ability to design technology solutions and understand complex issues and capture client and system requirements
• Ability to work as a team and deliver assignments, within tight time constraints
• An awareness of Health and Safety issues
• Client focussed and able to develop effective relationships with clients
• Proven ability to learn new skills and understand complex technical projects rapidly
• Full Driving Licence
• Flexibility for occasional periods working away from normal office location including site and night work
• Design experience of Smart Motorway or Highways Technology (ITS)
• Project Management experience, including developing MS Project plans
• National Highways Sector Scheme, Sector 8 qualified (QS, AO, ECS Card) and/or;
• Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) card at Professional Qualified Person (PQP) or equivalent
Our culture is one where initiative, innovation and imagination aren’t just encouraged, they’re expected.
After all, we work at the very forefront of the transportation industry on high profile projects any professional would be proud to be involved with. In terms of professional development, we offer unparalleled opportunities to progress and as a people-focused business, we actively promote achieving your own work/life balance by offering a range of rewards and benefits including flexible working options.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
•Technology, communications and power systems design for various Transportation schemes, taking into account cost and market requirements
• Interface and liaise with stakeholders and clients
• Attend and contribute to multi-disciplinary meetings, including visits site offices
• Undertake occasional site visits for the purposes of inspection and survey
• Apply best practise and lessons learned from prior projects
• Deliver quality and timely deliverables by following the Atkins Design Principles and the Transportation Delivery framework
• Follow and engender safe work practises using available systems, knowledge and tools
• Take ownership of the design or delivery of work packages, providing technical consultancy services in this area
• Assist Project Managers and Discipline or Team Leaders to deliver schemes
• Define and manage resource and budget for packages of work or tasks within larger schemes
• Mentor junior members of staff
• Master the use of tools and processes including ProjectWise and associated workflows