Atkins Energy business has been operating in the energy market for over four decades and the pace of change has never been greater than it is now. We are on the brink of a revolution in how the world generates and uses Energy. The possible scenarios of the future energy market will require the smart integration of renewable generation, energy storage, and sustainable demand with a transmission & distribution network that remains robust, flexible and economic to meet this changing landscape.
Atkins Energy is a global business which is experiencing an exciting period of growth both in the UK and Internationally. We are focussing on continued expansion in the UK and have interests in international markets.
Atkins Energy Storage
Our Energy Storage business includes clients in the gas storage sector and we have interests in the wider energy storage sector (including Compressed Air Energy Storage and Hydrogen Storage). This is a relatively new business within the Atkins organisation with potential for significant growth.
We have a team of multi-discipline engineers who provide a range of technical services (both from our home offices and directly at site).
We are looking for a lead well engineer to be based in our Bellshill office. This individual will regularly engage with clients on Atkins behalf and report into our Senior Well Engineers.
The primary focus of the role will be to support the technical delivery of projects for our gas storage clients. This will include both office based engineering works and site based supervisory works where the individual may be required to lead or supervise well intervention works. Fundamentally, this individual will be required to understand client technical issues and develop solutions to these, integrating both sound engineering knowledge and practice with an understanding of technical and safety risk implications.
As the Energy Storage business develops, the individual will also be expected to widen their responsibilities to include the development and implementation of other forms of subsurface Energy Storage.
This post offers a challenging and rewarding opportunity to have a significant role in the delivery of the existing gas storage business and make a significant contribution to the development of an emerging energy storage business. This will be a diverse role and will include aspects of supporting project technical delivery from the home office and on client sites for extended periods of time.
This post offers a challenging and rewarding opportunity to have a significant role in the Atkins Energy Storage business.
Our work is diverse and therefore you will be flexible, adaptable and have a keen interest in working with a multi-disciplinary engineering team.
You will have worked on a variety of projects and be able to demonstrate where you have used both technical and leadership abilities to deliver to successful completion.
- Degree qualified in an engineering discipline
- Demonstrable experience working in a well engineering related role:
- Understanding of well engineering (including design and construction), including:
- Knowledge of well equipment
- Knowledge of well intervention equipment
- Knowledge of suspension and abandonment requirement
- Knowledge of drilling, side-tracking
- Understanding of well interventions (planning, preparing and implementing),
- Understanding of fluid mechanics, including High Pressure Pumping operations
- Experience in the preparation of Risk Assessments for operations.
- Knowledge of subsurface maintenance requirements including:
- Different testing techniques
- Management of isolations
- Interfaces with stakeholders (e.g. IWE, HSE, operations)
- Demonstrable experience in the supervision of teams including:
- Onsite supervision of personnel and operations
- Use of Safe Systems of Work
- Witnessing of Testing
- Accident/Incident Report
- Completing Daily Reports
- Demonstrable engineering experience and an excellent understanding of project delivery.
- Knowledge of applicable regulations (i.e. Borehole Regulations, Health and Safety at Work Act. PUWER, LOLER etc).
- Ability to understand a wide range of processes through review of P&IDs, operating instructions, etc and to be able to communicate this to a variety of levels within a client organisation;
- Ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams and develop solutions to solve complex and high impact problems;
- Understanding of the stages in an engineering project – applicable both to plant upgrade/modification and the implementation of a major new plant installation.
- Commitment to the application of quality assurance and safety standards
- High level of communication skills, both written and verbal, and experienced in creating and presenting technical reports;
- Capable and confident of building and maintaining strong business relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- The self-motivation to perform without close supervision;
- Positive outlook and approachable manner;
- Drive and ambition to help us create a market leading business;
- Flexibility to travel and work from client sites for long duration assignments.
- Understanding of gas storage technology and plant;
- Experience of working with geographically dispersed teams or working as part of multi-company partnerships and managing supply chains;
- An interest in emerging fields of energy engineering and technology.
- IWCF Interventions or Drilling Level 2 (minimum)